Cinnimon / Maple Syrup Apple Sauce

Discussion in 'Side Dishes' started by Jim and Sue L., Oct 19, 2012.

1. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Okay, George, you asked for it.

You're going to need at least a 10inch chicken fryer, it's a full deep - skillet recipe.

1 cup good red wine - not too dry, but not excessively sweet. I used a blend from Passo Robles, but a Merlot would work.

1/8 cup water

1/2 cup raw sugar.

2 tsp Saigon Cinnamon - if you can get your hands on that stuff they use at Cinnabun, go for it.

1/2 stick sweet cream butter - unsalted.

1 tsp allspice.

1 cup Vermont Maple Syrup - Grade A dark amber. You can use any maple syrup you please, just make it moderately strong in flavor.

8 large, crisp apples. I used Cortlands. They are brilliant red with pure white flesh, very crisp and just the right balance of tart and sweetness. Hard to find in some places and impossible on the west coast, so use whatever red cooking apple you like. Just make sure they'll hold their shape when cooked.

Slice the apples with skin on. Do not make them uniform: some thick, some thin so you end up with a creamy mixture filled with solid pieces.

Put apple slices in the skillet over moderate heat and add all the ingredients except 1/2 of the syrup and a pat of butter.

Mix until the apples are well coated, bring to a boil, reduce heat, pop on the lid and let steam. Stir occasionally until the thin slices are creamy and the thick slices are tender.

Remove from heat, add the pat of butter and drizzle last of the syrup on top. Serve with good smoked sausages and roasted potatoes. Also very good on vanilla ice cream or warm custard. Hmmm...pound cake would work, too

Camp On,

Sue

2. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Sue, however I don't carry a fryer, but I think a cast iron dutch oven would fill the bill. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

That sounds devine! I wonder which of our apples up here would fit the bill? I will ask my market if they ever see Cortlands. Where are they grown?

Thanks Sue!

4. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I made this tonight to have with pork chops. I used Swiss Gourmet Apples, and it was heavenly. I will be making this again for sure. I used a Bogle Merlot for it as well. I do think I need a stronger cinnamon, but we all really enjoyed it and laddy went back for seconds. He ate up big tonight!

Thanks for the recipe!

5. Jim and Sue L.

Cortlands are a New York apple. Absolutely gorgeous. I never expected to see them here on the West Coast, but there they were in a specialty produce market. They were very expensive and definitely cold storage, but still wonderful. I had planned on making the applesauce, but the boys gobbled up those apples before I had the chance.

I'm going back to that store and see if they have a new shipment.

Sue

6. Jim and Sue L.

Yes, a strong cinnamon is truly needed. We have a health food shop here and they sell cinnamon from Saigon. That stuff will melt your back molars. Wonderful, full flavored and very aromatic.

That reminds me, have to drop on by and stock up for the holiday season...with seasons.

Oh, ha, ha...Not good, but quick.

Sue