Direct Access To Under-counter Storage

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Niels & Ingrid, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Would it be possible to make the under-counter storage area directly accessible, so that you can use it and the countertop simultaneously?

To do this, maybe the hatch could be enlarged to expose all of the rear area, with under-counter cupboards and drawers? Or alternatively, keep the existing hatch and modify the tail-light section of the rear to be a tail-gate like a pick-up truck? Another starting point for ideas might be the Vistabule's under-counter area.

This could also make the countertop an uninterrupted hingeless surface, resulting in fewer spills that are easier to clean up.

I'm asking because we use our counter and under-counter cupboards extensively on our low-end homemade teardrop, and during meal prep would want to maximize our kitchen accessibility. For now, we're hoping our teardrop will last until we save enough for a Camp-Inn.

2. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I can only imagine the frustration that we would feel if we had a galley designed like the Vistabule's. Like too many other teardrops currently on the market, it sort of looks like it would serve its purpose reasonably well. But the design is not nearly as optimized and refined as Camp Inn's. There is a LOT more space and functionality in a CI galley, and it lends itself to a small degree of personal customization so that it works best for how you will use it.

The one thing that you need to remember is that with the side tables deployed, in a Camp Inn you have nearly 8 feet of unused counter space in the galley, which is more than a lot of full size trailers and Class B coaches. While we do at times need to shuffle things around to access the deep storage during meal prep, it doesn't happen often enough that we would think that the design needs to be changed (keep in mind that we have lived in ours full time for the past year, so if this was an issue it would have boiled to the surface long ago).

Drawers tend to waste a lot of space and limit the flexibility of how the space is used. They do give you a means to organize stuff, but there are plenty of other ways to skin that cat.

JeremyB and Ken & Peggy like this.
  3. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

The original prototype, #0000, which Craig and Betsey took to the Grand Canyon in the last millenium, had one big drawer that pulled out from under the counter. You can see pictures of it on the Camp Inn Facebook page: Camp-Inn Travel Trailers - Photos | Facebook

The photo captions in the Facebook album explain why it didn't work out so well.

Betsey and JeremyB like this.
  4. Wild Robot

Wild Robot Newbie

I've wondered about that a few times but the extra space on the tables or my other folding camp table has made up for it. Just have to remember to get everything I might need from the storage areas before I really get cooking as I have the under counter trays so it's an extra step to get to the bottom. I've really enjoyed using the galley.

5. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

This makes us sound sooooo old! lol...Actually, it was in this millennium we took #0 to the Grand Canyon. :)

Mark & Casandra likes this.
  6. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

"Officially," the current millennium started Jan 1, 2001, at 0000 hours. But then none of us are officials, thank goodness, so what the heck.

First grandchild starts college this month; most recent grandchild just started size 3 Pampers. Like Billy Pilgram, we have become unstuck in time. Hope to see you at CICO this year, if the cast is off in time!

7. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

That is why I said it was this millennium...I was thinking our Route 66 trip with #000 as having been in June 2001. But then I realized the trip we took in 2001 was to New Hampshire and it was in #002 (which is technically "003) and the Route 66 trip with #000 (technically #001) was actually in 2000, which was in the last millennium. lol

Apparently, being on vacation for 6 weeks has altered all my perception, memory and understanding of time.... ;)

Hope you are able to make the trip this September!

Jenn and GhostOrchid like this.
  8. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Wow, that reads like an Abbott & Costello routine...walk me through this one more time please...Who's on first? LOL