Minor modifications

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Bunni, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Bunni

Bunni Novice

I am posting with the encouragement of some of our new found CI friends who claim we are withholding postable info. The only problem Rick and Jenn … I can’t remember which ones you thought were postable sooo here are some descriptions and pictures of things that work for us. I have nowhere near the craftsman skills of some so, our methods tend to be easy to do but maybe not so purdy.

Dividers for top shelf: These are made from wood stock you can find at Home Depot or Lowes. Cut to size add stick-on felt pad cut to fit on each end also wedge in and there ya go. Best part, when she who must be obeyed changes her mind or you get different stuff it’s easy to move or redo. We used a spacer to keep the spice bottles far enough back so they don’t hit the hatch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pot /dish divider: This is a corner plate shelf you can buy at wallymart. The engineers CI designed the compartment for a perfect fit. I used 2 wire closet wire shelf plastic fastener to secure to the wall and floor. Easy do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shelf for kitchen compartment: wallymart wire rack cut with hack saw or jig saw the length to size and reattached legs with tie wraps. Looks great from the front can’t see the jury-rig fastening job in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutting board: Used IKEA cheap plastic cutting board. Cut end to fit in storage compartment. Also, store on the both sides Cast Iron grill pan to prevent from dinging up the wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bathroom garbage can that fits inside: We put this inside and close the hatch when we are leaving for a short while saves us trips to the dumpster. Note this may not work for the right side paper towel rack users.

[​IMG] www.campinnforum.com/community/userftp/Benn%20&%20Meribeth/garbage%20can.jpg

Fridge Towel:
    Have the factory cover for our fridge the CI hockey stick does not work with it. So Meribeth made a towel with hockey stick like removable spacers sewn in. A better option may be to use Velcro hold stick on the towel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kitchen tub: We have an all electric kitchen. When the propane from CI ran out so did our use of the built in stove. One of these days I’ll get around to getting it filled. We store our two burner electric stove and toaster oven here. Recommendation gets the largest tub you can find that fits between the table leg and the bumper. This is our version two will be getting larger version 3 soon.

[​IMG]

Cary, thank you for talking me out of getting a full sized propane tank. Note to self listen to Yoda more often.

Mounting for hitch wire extension: I have an 18” hitch extender I use so I can put the tailgate down; keep my rock tamers away from the truck’s exhaust pipe and for our bike rack. So I need to an extender for the wire as well. Mounted using tie wraps. There is over 10k Miles on the road with this. I keep checking to see if I need to replace the tie wraps. So far so good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have over 10,000 miles and 80+ nights we are still learning from others, screwing up, trying something different and changing stuff. There many solutions out there, use the one that works best for you. Ignore the nay sayers. Most of important of all life is way too short, have fun and enjoy the journey.

Lovin Life in our Camp Inn
    Benn

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Benn,

Thanks for sharing. I love the dividers and the shelf ideas.

P.S. Say 'hi' to Mrs. Rumpole for me.

3. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Benn & Meribeth those are some good ideas. :)

4. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Benn and Meribeth - smart ideas - thanks

5. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Benn and Meribeth,

Thanks for all the help you have given Mike and I. I'm glad you have posted all of this because I never remember all the great ideas and now I have it right here. My phone has been ringing off the hook from Chase because of all the ordering I have done since I have been with all my CI friends. Jenn was laughing because everyday I have had a UPS delivery. I love my kitchen bin--thanks for the great idea--it works great for us.

Have a wonderful trip and we'll be in touch before heading to Alaska.

Carol

6. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Benn,

That is looking good! I like the custom fit cutting boards. I like those alot.

Cary

7. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

I just thought of some other suggestions that will help us with our Alaska trip that Jenn had suggested that I thought was worth sharing. Keep washcloths in your teardrop and your car to dry off with when raining. Use car mats by the galley to keep your feet dry when raining. The other thing that Jenn suggested were the Cabela Gear Bags instead of all the tubs that we have. Wow, we just gained a lot of space and will be that much more organized. The only bin I won't give up is my kitchen bin--I just love that one and it works as a shelf under the table.

I feel like we were at the CI College of Learning last weekend. I'm trying to capture all of these ideas. Thanks guys for all your tips.

Carol

8. Bunni

Bunni Novice

Mrs. Rumpole ? We had to google to figure it out :>)

9. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Sorry, I am in the middle of watching Rumpole of the Bailey and your use of that phrase made me chuckle.

10. sneakerwave

sneakerwave Novice Donating Member

Benn,
    For your all electric kitchen, what model stove is that you've pictured? Are you still using it / happy with it? Once I use up my fuel I plan to keep my small backpacking stove as a backup and will invest in something electric. Am interested in any recommendations from others for reliable single or double burner electric stoves.