UT Private CG Private RV Canyonlands Campground (Moab)

Discussion in 'West' started by Mick'nSarah, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

At the end of our trip we stayed in Moab at Canyonlands Campground which is in town. It backs up to the the high school football field (which wasn't an issue for us since it wasn't football season, but hear Friday nights can get pretty loud with games). You feel pretty tucked away though because the pool and office, along with a Texaco station are at the front of the park, and you are behind.

I liked the place for a few reasons:
    - we were 1 block from the grocery store, which had a very nice selection of food (make sure you check dates though...I think we are spoiled at my markets here with dates and I came to realize I had bought out of date food at several locations, including milk...eww)
    - we were 5-10 minutes from the gates to Arches and about 45 minutes to Canyonlands (Islands in the Sky area)
    - Moab Brewery was a short walk. They have amazing gelato!
    - the folks here are very nice, there is shade and it is clean and safe
    - great for families or couples or folks on their own. The pool is lovely and everyone enjoyed swimming there.

See the full review here:
    http://havekidwillteardrop.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/canyonlands-and-arches/

We would definitely stay here again!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Camped here a for 3 nights at the end of June. Good location in town and agree with everything said above. You will cheerleaders practicing early in the morning and there were signs warning that once the HS band starts up summer practice they start early. Loved Moab Brewey, Milt's ( Local Burger place with good milkshakes a few blocks behind the campground), and the Quesadilla Mobilla food truck up on Main St. We hit the 2 parks in the morning and the pool here in the 100 degree heat.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  3. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

One thing that we are looking for (we take a similar trip in August): Where can you get a shower?

The campground IN Arches has no showers. We've realized that we have no showers for the first week of camping, so we likely will want to find offsite showers.....

(We will bring a solar shower with us, but we may want a real shower every few days....)

-Al

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We showered at a spot in Moab, don't remember the name but I'm sure people will know. Same for Capitol Reef NP. We were pretty ripe after a couple of our hikes, so people were more than happy to give us detailed directions...

5. Hope this helps with showers in Moab area for you. You can shower in Torrey while in Capitol Reef. We did not because we were only there 2 days, so we just washed up at the campsite there.

Places to take a shower in Moab, Utah.

AlCat likes this.
  6. AlCat

Of COURSE the interwebs would have a list like this. Excellent!! And thank you so much for the link. (Now I wonder if the web will have a list for all the other areas we will visit....)

-Al

7. Where is your trip taking you?

8. AlCat

Hi. Eastern Sierra, Nevada, then two weeks in Utah. I think we have no showers at any of the Utah campgrounds (though there is water and we do have a solar shower). We don't need a shower each day, but it would be nice to have one every few days, at least, especially since we will be active each day (and it will be hot) - I'm less concerned about a little sweat and stink than I am about days of sunscreen slathered on me. At least we won't be using much bug spray!

Silver Lake
    Silver Lake
    Great Basin
    Arches
    Arches
    Dead Horse
    Dead Horse
    Dead Horse
    Goblin Valley
    Goblin Valley
    Fruita
    Fruita
    Fruita
    Zion
    Zion
    Zion
    Valley of Fire
    Valley of Fire

9. I would think Zion would have showers like a lot of the parks at a laundry facility or general like a lot of the national parks but we skipped over that one while were out West. When you go into town at Fruita for ice don't stop at the first place, it is expensive. There we just washed down but we were only there a couple of nights. We keep a solar shower with us too or sometimes just wipe down with Baby wipes to get rid of the bug spray, sunscreen before going to bed at night. Looks like a nice trip. The Moab campground we stayed in is on that list and the showers were clean there.

10. AlCat

Thanks. And we don't need fancy shower facilities, though I would like something better than the rock climbing gym we went to in Las Vegas which had a dirty locker room and the shower was a weak trickle. But at least we were clean after!!

According to our research, no showers inside the park at Zion

-Al

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.
  11. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We got a shower in Springdale, at an outdoor shop that had showers out back. I'll see if iI can find a name...

This isn't it, but...
    Zion Outfitter

12. AlCat

13. AlCat

showers at the outfitter at the Springdale entrance to Zion are upgraded over years' past. I recommend them.