Parking Spot Between Monterey & Sf

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by fernlane, Sep 19, 2016.

1. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

we're heading west on 9/30, all the way from NC to the bay area. We'll spend a few nights on the north rim, then maybe Zion if I can stand the crowd, Death valley, Kings canyon, whatever.
    We've got a reservation for a cabin on the Monterey peninsula to spend time with the west coast grandson ( and his caretakers, our daughter and son in law).
    We're then heading into the City for a couple of nights and are looking for a campground where we could reasonably leave the 'drop after we leave Monterey. Any suggestions? I've perused Allstays pretty heavily and have a few possibilities but the teardrop will be completely unattended so I'd like for it to be pretty secure.

thanks,

Robert Dickson

2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

One of the camper/trailer repair shops would likely store it (inside) for you for a modest fee....

Check in Redwood City/Belmont/San Carlos

-Al

3. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

ps Zion is wonderful in the early morning; I recommend a VERY early (sunrise) walk in the Valley. That's the only way to beat the crowds in the Valley (though it should be less crowded right now than a few weeks ago)

and your campsite will always be wonderful.

Yeah, Zion has a lot of people. And you can't get away from them as easily as you think you can't "just hike a mile and you put the crowds behind"). Zion really gets people's hiking motors running. But if you get on the unpaved trails, you'll leave some of the crowds behind.

and rent some shoes and hike up the Virgin River toward the Narrows, weather permitting. That will also leave people behind, and it is AWESOME.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016