New Florida Raindrop

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Sea Cruise, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Sea Cruise

Sea Cruise Newbie

Hi - its been a long time since initial meet and greet message. Picked up my wonderful Raindrop on July 11th, and proceeded to drive over many mountains out to Washington, Oregon, California (family reunion), Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and on and on until returning to home in central coast of Florida. Whew, 9000 miles. The Raindrop (Gitanita - Spanish for Gypsy Girl or Little Gypsy) was fantastic. My dogs love it and feel like home away from home. Have been back since mid-August. Got rained out in St. Augustine a couple of weeks ago by a pesky tropical storm. But was a good learning experience with my side tent. Next trip is Long Key State Park, October 17-20th. Lucked out an found a place on the water and hope for good weather. Anyone in Florida who is in the area: drop in and say HI.

And you Flagler Beach (Van_and_Terri) and New Smyrna peeps get in touch.

Randy, birder526 and Tom & Diana P like this.
  2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Best wishes with the new camper, Christy!!

Van_and_Terri and Sea Cruise like this.
  3. Sea Cruise

Sea Cruise Newbie

AlCat - Hey you two! Going down to Keys on 10/17. Got place on the beautiful water. Will be glad to get away from this hurricane cleanup stuff.

4. Where are you camping in the Keys? I'm looking for some choice locations. While visiting my uncle in Big Pine Key (and avoiding hitting the tiny deer with my car), Karen and I spent the day at Bahia Honda State Park. But it seems very difficult to get a spot there.

Coincidentally, I'll be in Necedah picking up our 560 on 10/17.

--Glenn

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Sea Cruise likes this.
  5. Sea Cruise,

Okay, after seeing your initial post up top, I see that you'll be at Long Key State Park. How far in advance do you have to reserve a spot there to have a good chance?

--Glenn

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  6. Sea Cruise

Sea Cruise Newbie

Yes I will be at Long Key State Park. Are you new to Florida? The campsites in the Keys are very hard to get into because the Snow Birds reserve their sites every year. I must have found a cancellation when I made the reservation. How exciting picking up a new 560. I love mine.

7. Sea Cruise,

I'm in Georgia just outside of Atlanta, but we have lots of family in Florida and visit all the time. My father was stationed in Homestead for several years while I was in college. I prefer warm weather over cold weather when I can be near a beach :)
    Driving to Florida is really no consideration at all for Karen and I, we just need an excuse!

I'm looking to reserve some spots for late next year. Bahia Honda can be had if you make reservations 11 months out. I'll also consider Long Key State Park for the same time frame. A great thing about the CI is it will be easy to "camp hop" if you can't find contiguous days in one place.

I saw the post for a 2017 Florida Gathering at Tomoka State Park, but when I looked for availability it was all booked up for lots near the water. I'll stay tuned for future gatherings in Florida so I can meet my neighbors.

Regards,
    Glenn

Sea Cruise likes this.
  8. Sea Cruise

Sea Cruise Newbie

Hi Glenn - If one of us has a site near the water you can always hang out with them. But keep in touch. I go to Anastasia State Park a lot in St. Augustine. The campsites are not right one the ocean. You can walk on the walkway over the dunes to see the ocean. I like it because it's only an hour and a half from New Smyrna.

Looking forward to meeting in the future. I would also like to check out the parks along the gulf coast on the western part of the florida panhandle.

9. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Christy,
    We highly recommend the following in the western panhandle of Florida.
    1. St Joe is very secluded and quiet. We prefer the Gulf Loop because it's just over the Dune from the Gulf.
    2. St George Island is very nice and very close to some of the best grilled oysters in the world.
    3. St Andrews is a busy park, but near Pamana City and lots of activities in the park. Catch the water ferry to an island full of shells.
    4. Grayton Beach is one of our favorites. Easy access to the Beach, and a smaller campground which is quiet. Be sure to eat at the Red Barn in Grayton Beach. But better go early!
    5. Topsail is 8 miles east of Destin. It's a former RV Park that is now a State Park. Very nice pool on the premises. The Beach access isn't the best. Either bicycle or walk a mile or so. Another option is a free tram which runs every hour. The water at Topsail and Grayton Beach is crystal clear. You can see your toes in water up to your chest.
    Have fun!
    Van&Terri