Removing grease splatter

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Les Izmore, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Anyone concerned about grease spatter in the galley should consider cooking with coconut oil. It is liquid above 76 degrees Fahrenheit, so it cleans up very easily. There are a few challenges with ig in hot weather. If anyone is interested in hearing more about that, I could start a new thread.

2. Theresa

Theresa Novice

Really? Coconut oil? I have some here at home but haven't even opened it. I think I bought it for some recipe that never happened. I'm going to test this theory on my home stove and see what happens.

Thanks for the idea!

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Coconut oil is great stuff. A lot of other oils are damaged by cooking at high heat, but coconut oil holds up much better. We routinely add a big gob of it to our morning oatmeal - it is a great saturated fat (now that the low fat myth appears to have finally been laid to rest).

You'll still get some meat fat spattering from the pan, but it is still far less of a mess than you would get with the standard vegetable oils.

4. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

A bit off topic but coconut oil is good for other non cooking uses too. It makes a very good massage oil - the smell and taste are nice.

5. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

How coconut oil ever got to be known as a healthy alternative is beyond me. Much more saturated fat than any other cooking oil. Goes hand-in-hand with the high temperature stability, unfortunately. Good for massage and skin externally though.

An article if you are interested.

Kevin S likes this.