Looking for overnight camping options in Cal

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Margaret and Ed, Apr 25, 2014.

1. From June 1 through June 7 I am riding my bike from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the Aids Lifecycle. This is my 5th time BUT this year my husband was planning to drive the trailer along the route so we could be together. I am having a lot of trouble finding suitable sites to camp overnight that are not a long way off the route. Can anyone make any suggestions for any of the following places? Even someone's driveway overnight would be wonderful. I had assumed it would be no trouble when we planned this but now I come to actually work out the details it is not so easy
    The stops are in Santa Cruz, King City, Paso Robles, Santa Maria, Lompoc and Ventura.

2. Steve_B

Steve_B Newbie

San Lorenzo County Park - King City although it might be the ride campground. If so, it might be best to rent a motel room. edit, it is the ride's campground.

Paso Robles has several RV resorts. Other choices might be Naciemento Lake or Santa Margarita Lake.
    yelp.com/Campgrounds - Paso Robles

Maybe santamariapines.com in Santa Maria. It is next door to Preisker Park, 2301 Preisker Ln., Santa Maria; the rides's campground. Otherwise, state park camp grounds in Pismo Beach are about as close as you can camp. yelp.com/camping Santa Maria

Looks like River Park in Lompoc is reserved for the event. flyingflags RV park is close by in Buellton. Jalama Beach and Cachuma Lake campgrounds are alternates, each maybe a half hour away.

San Buenaventura State Beach, Ventura, is the ride campground. yelp.com/Beach Camping - Ventura the other state parks/beaches look good

3. Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your response. Figured out 4 of my 7 nights. Just looking for something in Santa Cruz and King City. Welcome to the Forum!

4. Dahava

Dahava Novice

We recently signed up for Harvest Hosts. The have listings for vineyards, breweries, orchards, farms, etc, where you can stay overnight for free. We have some overnighters scheduled this summer at a maple syrup/sugar farm in Vermont that has been run by the same family for over 200 years.

Check out HarvestHosts.com for more info. Looking at their map there's a place near Santa Cruz that might be an option for you.

5. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

D&V

just curious - the Harvest Hosts website says RVs have to be "self-contained" including a toilet or porta potty. How do y'all deal with that? Side tent and bucket with seat?
    and thanks for the link.

robt

550 ultra #645

6. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

Sounds like a great idea. But a quick look at the site's FAQs says "no trailers" ??

7. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

It's not a trailer. It's a tent on wheels. And if that doesn't work - it's cute!

8. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Robt-

Porta potties are fine by them. I did have to send the a link to the Camp-Inn website because no one with a teardrop had asked to join before. Once they saw the site, and gray water tank they were good to go and approved.

Looking forward to our first overnighter with Harvest Hosts!

9. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Ghost-

It says "Sorry, but tent-type/canvas RVs or trailers are not allowed." I think they're referring to pop-ups.

I sent them to the Camp-Inn website so they could see our rig and they approved us.

10. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

kewl. thanks, dan.

11. Thank you so much! Just joined and waiting to hear back. It looks very exciting - we are embarking on a much longer trip after my ride to LA and this looks perfect!

12. We are scheduled to stay in a Winery at Paso Robles - will let you all know how it works out - looks like fun.

13. Dahava

Dahava Novice

That sounds great! Enjoy!

14. dmaaron

dmaaron Newbie

Did you ever end up using Harvest Host in Paso? Looking for some detail on your experience as we are considering joining ourselves pending how they treated a teardrop.

15. Steve_B

Steve_B Newbie

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    AlCat likes this.
  16. Steve_B

Steve_B Newbie

I'm tempted to go to the Folk-n-Soak Music Festival at Franklin Hot Springs one day next weekend. Its $10 for a day pass plus $20 for overnight camping. Sure wish my teardrop was "done" enough to camp there.

Franklin Hot Springs, in Paso Robles, California, will host the Fall Folk-n-Soak Music Festival from the afternoon of October 14 until noon on Sunday October 15, 2016! Love to see ya!

You'll be able to enjoy the music from the hot springs pool from 4pm on Friday until midnight, resuming Saturday from 10am until midnight, and then again on Sunday moring until noon.

Yoga classes will be held both Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Music from:

The Christopher Hawley Rollers

Lauren Makes Musics

Jac Marino

Will Vanguard

Jewels Nation and Johnny Nation

Ryan Blowers

Erinn Williams

Nick Josephs

Cristina Vane

Jeff Appleton and more...​

Fall Folk-n-Soak Music/Camping/Yoga/Hot Springs Festival