Propane Leak

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by CampMech, Mar 24, 2015.

1. CampMech

CampMech Novice

I keep smelling propane in my galley when the tank is open but the stove is off. Any advice on how to track the leak down?

2. Mike_Kathi

Mike_Kathi Newbie

I would check around all fittings with soapy water mixture and a brush, if you have any bubbles, it would mean you have a lose or bad fitting.Hope this helps.

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, and you just might check the side quick release valve if you have one. For external BBQ or whatever.. and of course the tank valve connection... Soap water works best...

4. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

If the soap bubbles don't find it, most propane dealers will have a sniffer that will pinpoint the leak.

5. CampMech

CampMech Novice

Thank you all, I will try the bubbbles asap.

6. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Novice

Did you find your leak. I hope you don't have the same problem I had. There is an access panel in lower left cabinet that has two screws holding it in place. There are several gas connections behind it. If you don't find the leak there, then it could be brass quick connect fitting. The repair shop had to pull my sink out to access it and replace the fitting.

7. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, Cary mentioned that in that particular spot, a PITA to fix.

I got mine fixed by can of air and graphite. There's that little rubber plug/cap for a reason heheheh, keeps out the dust/dirt which turned out to be my Issue, fixed... but advised checking with the bubbles a few times just to be sure.

8. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

We had a leak in the regulator simple fix at the service shop but difficult to access under the sink. I also crimped the water hose when I put the panel back took me a while to figure out why the water was not running well from the tap but great from the spray attachment.

9. CampMech

CampMech Novice

I did the bubbles and could not find a leak, I also could not smell any propane. I am about to spend some time right now checking it out again since we have smelled propane on every trip so far. Hopefully it's not under the sink :( Taking her out a bunch this summer so I'm hoping I figure it out. Thanks everyone!

10. bwcolnago

bwcolnago Novice Donating Member

I had propane leak as well, odor was in the kitchen area and cabin. Cary was great in giving tips on where to look and how to get to it. The propane connections are under the sink. You can get to most of them by removing the vertical storage panel next to the sink. Just a couple of screws to remove. Use a soapy solution to check for the connections you can access. I did this first without result. Cary told be to investigate the brass external propane connection. To get to this you must remove the sink. This is done by first,removing the center screw in the sink drain. Second, the sink is secured by a bead of Sikaflex 221 sealant. I used a paint remover heat gun to evenly heat the flange of the entire sink until I could push it up and out.

Now I could access both sides of the external port connection. By putting a wrench on the external port from the access door side and holding the brass elbow (see pic) in place was able to tighten the fixture about a 1/4 turn. Bought a combustible gas detector and placed it in the area to ensure there was no more gas leaking.

Clean the sink surfaces, reapply a bead of Sikaflex 221 (I purchased it from Amazon) and set the sink. Put something heavy in the sink to keep pressure on it until the sealant cures. Remove the excess that oozes out from the flange. Finish assembly. external.jpg 20161019_094314.jpg external.jpg 20161019_094314.jpg

I have a 2012 560 Ultra, not sure if this procedure applies to other model/years.

Thanks again to Cary for answering all my questions.

Cheers,
    Bill

LisaNKevin, Evan and Tom & Diana P like this.
  11. Nicely documented. This will be a great resource if needed.

12. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Did you try searching for the leak using a match?

OK, THAT WAS A JOKE. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME OR ANYWHERE ELSE. COMMENT WAS FOR HUMOR ONLY AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED ACTUAL ADVICE.

Just wanted to make sure no one was actually foolish enough to try tracking down a gas leak with an open flame.

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  13. Gary & Janine

Gary & Janine Novice

Fantastic write up Bill! Thanks for this. You helped me find my leak as well. The fitting in the bottom of the regulator was leaking. Took me a while to find it but I eventually did. Now to put the sink back and make it look like Camp-Inn did the work...