Smell Gas

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Neil Barr, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Neil Barr

Neil Barr Novice Donating Member

Maiden voyage with #555 now known as the "Tipi". Used only the stove but kept smelling gas near the front around the furnace exhaust. Any similar experience ?

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

First place to check is the hose connection to the tank. Try tightening to see if it moves; note that it is a left hand thread. If it's tight, close the valve and disconnect the hose to check the fitting. The hose part should be smooth without any deep scratches or nicks. The tank fitting should have an O-ring, check for damage. If the O-ring seems dry you can smear a bit of petroleum jelly on it. Then screw it back together.

If this doesn't solve the problem, most propane places have a sniffer instrument that can locate the problem.

3. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

I had a leak under the sink also. The smell was very subtle so I invested in a sniffer, works great! Really helped pinpoint the source.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  4. Neil Barr

Thanks. Did not seem to be coming from the tank connections. Will probably need to have it "sniffed"
    Thanks. Probably a good idea.

5. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

6. Neil Barr

Appears to be a bad regulator. Took it off now to find a new one. Where can these be readily purchased? Propane supplier I suppose? Prefer to pick one up locally.

7. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Neil, glad you found your issue. Just curious, how old is #555.

8. Neil Barr

2012. I believe I am the 3rd owner.

9. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Ok, thanks.

10. Neil Barr

Didn't find the exact regulator but installed similar and everything works fine. No smell. $12 part.

jfocallag likes this.
  11. Greg & Shelly

Greg & Shelly Novice Donating Member

Maybe instead of buying a gas sniffer, stop by your local fire department. We carry them on our trucks. If you bring cookies, you could probably get one of the fire fighters to check your camper's gas lines and connections.

12. Neil Barr

Thanks. I used soapy water and found that the regulator had failed. $10 fix.