Design Change Question and Poll

Discussion in 'Official Camp-Inn Area' started by Craig Edevold, Jun 7, 2016.

?

Have you had rain water enter your under counter lid gutters after driving in the rain?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2016.
  1. Yes, in the gutters only

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Yes in the gutters and in the storage bins

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. No, I have not seen this happen

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. Craig Edevold

Craig Edevold Administrator Staff Member

The gutters below the counter lids and surrounding the storage area openings are intended to help catch spills on the counter top. Fluid or powder that goes over the sides of the counter lids would first fill into these gutters, preventing, or at least reducing, the amount getting into the storage space below. These gutters drain to the rear to allow excess fluid to flow out of the trailer rather than overflowing into the storage compartment.

We have had a couple customers who, while driving in heavy rain, reported having had rain water enter the rear of their hatch and flow into the gutters around the under counter storage openings. In one case, enough water entered that it overflowed the gutters and some water leaked into the under counter storage areas. We are trying to determine if this is a common problem or unique to these couple customers.

If it appears to be common, we will make a design change to prevent the water from entering. If not, we will keep the design as it is. Either way the gutters will remain there to catch spills.

If you have noticed water standing in these gutters (not the area where the bottom of the hatch seals) after driving in the rain, please let us know by sending an email to camp.inn@tds.net.

If you have a Camp-Inn and read this post please complete the poll.

Thank You for your help,
    Craig Edevold

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    JeremyB likes this.
  2. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I have not seen this happen. Most of my experience in the rain has been stationary and not driving. But the times I have driven through the rain I did not notice any water in the storage area or in the gutters.

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

This happened to us but that was before we had the new seal across the bottom of the hatch. Hasn't happened since.

4. birder526

birder526 Novice

We haven't had this problem at all!

5. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

Have never seen rainwater in those gutters, even on the one occasion where we got some in the cabin from driving a couple of days through torrential rain.

6. Rick  Sarah

Rick Sarah Novice

We have not had this problem.

7. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Last summer we drove from Oklahoma City back to the east coast of Iowa, Quad Cities (700 miles), heavy driving rain for a major portion of it..WALL-E was dry as a bone inside and out. The only place I have noticed signs of water are in the rear under counter storage area around one of the srews, but there has been no change in it. R

8. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

We have not had this problem (though we have only experienced about 20 hours of rain, total, in over 100 nights)

9. Cmckinnon

Cmckinnon Newbie

Yes, I have rain water enter my galley by running down the rear wall of the galley onto the upper shelving and into the footwell of the main cabin. Not much fun when your bed gets wet. As recommended by Craig I drilled five small holes in the aluminum channel inside both of the upper cabin storage compartments and filled the channel with caulk. This did not solve my problem so I drilled two more sets of five hole in the channel from the galley side just above the CampInn serial number plaque and agin filled the channel with as much caulk as I could force into the channel. This reduced the amount of water entering the galley but did not completely eliminate my leak.

10. Cmckinnon

Cmckinnon Newbie

Let me add one more thing. The rain water enters the cabin while we are parked not while we are traveling down the road. This only happens during heavy rain. This has happened maybe 8 times in 230 nights of camping.

11. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

Never say never, I guess.

We drove through a couple of fast-moving, but heavy downbursts on I-70 heading west into Colorado a couple of months ago and, the next morning, found a rag in the bottom of the right-hand bin that was wet. Couldn't have been much water, maybe a half-liter. First time in 12,000 miles. Battery compartment was dry, as was the left bin.

12. Kelly

Kelly Novice

Poll Question: Have you had rain water enter your under counter lid gutters after driving in the rain? No, not that I can recall.

13. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

We are right at 7,500 miles traveled with our 560 and have been caught in several heavy downpours on the road and while camping. We have not had a problem with rainwater in the galley. Thanks for a top notch designed & built teardrop, Camp-Inn!

Casandra