Clam Screen Room

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Van_and_Terri, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We just purchased a Clam Screen Room and cannot believe how fast and easy it is to setup. We went for the 72 x 72 inch. Just perfect for 2 people. They make much larger ones too. www.clamoutdoors.com

2. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

We are looking at that shelter as well. How is the quality?

3. Chuck

Chuck Novice

I would be interested in seeing your screen room. We have an REI alcove. In a recent rainstorm it was less than desirable. Hope to see you at Tomoka SP.

4. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Hey, we would have given you our 6x6 screen room. It sets up even faster and is very compact. We found only one time that we needed it. Since then, we've found that natural oil, non-DEET bug sprays do the trick (lemon-eucalyptus, ones with cinnamon oil, etc), sometimes with the help of a citronella candle. Of course we usually on the move most of the day, and when we do take time to linger in one place, it's not likely to be somewhere with a troublesome bug population.

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=31597#comments

We paid less than $65 for it, but it's a pretty slick pop up design.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Didn't know Clam made screen rooms. In the northland, the primary use for Clam tents is ice fishing! The tents are very well made, go up easy. Hardest part is stacking on the ice!

I have seen one of the ice fishing houses used as a camping tent this summer. Good use for the product. Do not know if they are water proof in a rain storm.

Jean

6. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Now why did you have to go and show me that? Very cool, I think I want one!

Randy

7. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Am considering a Clam screen shelter and also the Eureka NB. The NB has been mentioned several
    times on this forum with success in fitting over the rear galley, and being decent in rain and wind.
    But wondering how the Clam 9281 140"x140"x90"H would work fitting over the galley since the height
    seems the same. Not sure the door opening is wide enough. And, with wind walls if they would provide
    adequate protection against wind and rain.

8. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

My testing... The door isn't wide enough. My sister has one, and we tried to see if it work last year. I really wanted it to work, but with one door and the shape, you just can't fit it around the teardrop. It you wanted it only over the hatch, do not use the table extension nor the cooler side table, maybe. You can't get it past the fenders. Trying that, just the hatch only and no tables, it was still awkward.

For me, that limited usage, and for one person to set up it actually was a bit tricky. I can set up the Northern Breeze by myself by using the teardrop itself to drape the tent over and then attach the poles. (Thanks Jean for the lessons on how to do that.)

If I want only a standalone screen tent, I might consider the smaller 4 sided Clam to set up away from the TD, but the 6 sided wasn't for me.

As with anything, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong and likely am.

9. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

10. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Thanks for your thoughts. I have an Alcove with wind panels (4 sides) and it works for the most part but I wanted something a bit more substantial for rain and wind (and when cold). My first Alcove was ripped badly in a rough
    storm. Fortunately REI stood behind it. The NB does appear to take a bit more time to put up than the Alcove.
    That's what intrigued me about the clam. Really quick set up. But if it won't fit over the galley then it won't work for me. You seem to really like your northern breeze. Any negatives you can think of and is it really waterproof & wind
    proof? I just don't like "tents" for the most part, particularly putting them up and taking them down in rainy or
    poor weather. That's a major reason I have a TD. Thanks again.

11. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I'm still in the weekend camper phase, not retired yet, so I can can watch weather and bring what shelter works best for the weather. Usually it's either nothing, or if I do put something up most frequently its the rei alcove. So I have only used the NB in colder weather, or if it's known to be bad storms around. Maybe 6 times?

Oddly, even though there is the screen part of the NB, the bugs really start "bugging me" after dark... When I want to be around a fire, so I won't be in the NB for mosquito avoidance anyway.

But the NB is great for inclement weather. Rain is no problem at all, and it's been through a couple windy Midwest thunderstorms, but if you mean sustained, open country wind or gusts, no personal experience with that type of wind. if staked well, etc, probably fine but you'd have to ask others who have used it in those kinds of weather.