Homer, Alaska

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by rushthecat, Aug 5, 2013.

1. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

As promised, here are some photos from or stay in Homer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

awesome, I love it

3. CamperJohn

CamperJohn Newbie

nice photos

Sweeney likes this.
  4. Limberg

Limberg Newbie

That one of the bird is awesome.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  5. BrentMcNeil

BrentMcNeil Newbie

I love going phen24 review to Alaska for vacations. I've visited Homer twice for camping. Great place to relax and fish. Always had great fun there. Will look for pics and post soon.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    Kevin S and Tour 931 like this.
  6. RobertThomas

RobertThomas Newbie

But come, all of us here put heads together now, work out his journey home so Odysseus can return.

M&L likes this.
  7. SethB

SethB Ranger

Is there some reason to return from Homer? Such a great place!

We were AirBnBing there a few years ago, but if we got the CI up there and into a good spot it might be difficult to pull up stakes.

8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Alaska is on my bucket list. I'd LOVE to see it. I just don't think I can take traveling through Canada to get there.

Its a shame when the Alaska territory was purchased they didn't negotiate a ribbon of highway between mainland US and Alaska to allow US Citizen rights along the way. You know, stay on this road or x miles either side of it...

An acquaintance of mine traveling in a class A literally forgot he had a flashlight with an incorporated stun gun. No projectile, just high voltage generator. It was stowed deep in a drawer, likely forgotten about. Needless to say they found by a 'random' search, and beofore he knew it, he was under arrest and facing a serious crime...in canada. I do not have time or desire to deal with that little common sense.

This was found at a border crossing ---- had they said "Go back, get rid of it...come back eh?" I could at least forgive it. But for some one with no criminal record to be put through that hell is just abusive. In the middle of the country...maybe. But at the border...gimme a break.

Kevin S and M&L like this.
  9. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Winter, my friend, winter is the answer to the question.

Of all the places we got our CI560 to in the 2.5 years we lived in Alaska, Homer was an absolute favorite. We spent 3 nights right on the very end of the spit.

M&L, SethB and Long Truong like this.
  10. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

Love Homer, love Seward, love Hope. Those were some of my favorite places to go when I'm in AK.

M&L likes this.
  11. M&L

M&L Ranger

Never been to Homer, but I did get to pull into Seward when I was in the Navy. Cool little town. When you pull into port on a Navy ship, some of the crew stay on board to keep an eye on things...we called it a "duty day". The Navy forbids people from paying others to take their duty day, so naturally I paid someone to take mine (I'm not always great with rules!). I REALLY wanted to maximize my time ashore in Alaska. I wandered down to the bus station, and a lady working there sold me a bus ticket to Anchorage. Turns our her husband was one of the founders of the modern Iditarod race, and her son was a competitor the year I was there (1997)...she was fun to talk to. Later on the bus, I was the only one riding. The bus driver was normally an architect, but drove buses on the side. He stopped the bus so I could get pictures of moose, Dall sheep, and the dead spruce trees from the 1964 earthquake (the seawater rushed in killed them due to the salt absorption, apparently). All in all, my first Alaska experience was amazing. Didn't go back to Alaska again until we did a family cruise in 2018 when I rediscovered how much fun ships can be (it definitely helps having the luxuries of a cruise ship!). On the cruise, we visited Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, and Glacier Bay National Park (which I was able to do previously in the Navy as well).

I'd love to go back again and see Homer. Fairbanks and Denali are also very high on my list. Might be a good excuse to take the Camp-Inn up there for a trip!

Kevin S and Ken & Peggy like this.
  12. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

We camped near Homer for almost 2 weeks in summer of 2017. We really liked taking the water taxi Kachemak State Park. We went across 4 times.

Might also suggest camping in McCarthy. The road was not near as bad as we had heard it could be. Took about 3 hours to travel the 60 miles. Camp at the end of the road was beautiful and exploring the Kennecott mine and doing a glacier hike was once in a lifetime experiences.

Our favorite town in Alaska was Haines. That’s where Betsy came nose to snout with a grizzly one morning as we slept with our doors open and the screens in place.

Kevin S and Jenn like this.
  13. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

I've got a couple bear stories but this wins. By a lot.

Kevin S and Jenn like this.
  14. M&L

M&L Ranger

Jenn - thankfully, I've been out of the Navy for over 20 years. It was 8 of the most exciting AND miserable years of my life. Travelling the world by ship was incredible, but being away from family for months on end was extremely difficult. It DID give me some valuable experience, and paid for everything up to my master's degree, including an electronics journeyman program. Very glad I did it, and even happier that I'm not doing it now!

dustinp and Kevin S like this.
  15. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Thank you both for your service, along with all the other Vets on our forum(as well as those not on it!).

M&L and Jenn like this.