Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Sky bear, May 24, 2017.

1. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Wondering what works for folks using bike racks with the CI installed hitch. I've read old threads but there
    has to be "new stuff" to consider over the last several years. I've used a Yakima 4 bike hitch with the lowering
    option to allow entry into the back of the TV (until some dude ran over it while in the lowered position)Never had a problem with the CI or an earlier TD. But I now hear that Yakima, Thule and Kuat among others say their racks should not be used on "trailers". There is now an exception from Yakima for trailers but it doesn't have the lowering feature so it would be useless to me. Yakima also has a new platform model called Dr. Tray that is aluminum and weighs just 34 lb. so I'm inclined to buy that one to use for hauling just 2 bikes for the most part. It has a lowering feature so that would work for me. I know warranties would be void but talked to a local dealer and he said I probably wouldn't have a problem. Anyone using something that's worked for them for some time? Cary mentioned the swing away model but it's heavy and I'd prefer something lighter.

2. I have used the Yakima 4 Bike rack one I had for years, but last year switched to one of the Tray type bike racks for fear of losing an expensive wheel on my bike. Lost one once with it once but luckily found it. The new rack is a Thule for 2 Bikes. So far I have not used it on the camper because it appears to sit awfully low to the ground and I have not wanted to test it out yet to see how it does going out and back into my driveway. My use has been sparce with it as it been just a few short weekend trips where I needed my bike with me. I am road cyclist with an expensive bike and the racks aren't exactly cheap themselves. The last camping trip I did take the rack with me minus a bike because I needed the rack for a cycling event I was working instead of riding. It did not bottom out anywhere so I may try it in the future with a bike on it, probably my back up bike first. Mine lowers to give you access to your vehicle but I know my wife would not want it there for a long trip since it would be at the galley. My Camp Inn does have the SUV package so it does sit a little higher than if it did not. Let me know how you fare if you try it on yours. I need to get brave and try it this weekend as we are going camping and I am riding a Metric Century on Saturday.

3. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

I use a Thule Apex for 2 bikes. Does seem to get more bounce at the back of the trailer vs. the back of the car, but we haven't had any issues with the bikes. It tilts back which is all my wife and I really need it to do to fully utilize the kitchen vs. removing it while we camp which we did once. The swing away would get in the way of either table, so not worth the money IMO.

4. I am about to get brave and try the Thule on the Camp Inn this weekend. I only have a one hour drive and other than my driveway I am not that worried. I live on a busy 4 lane road so I can't just pull into the street and place the bike on the rack. I might drive 1 block down to the nearest street and have someone walk the bike down to it.

5. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

We use the KUAT NV 2. Used it several times with no issues on the back of our 560. Tilt function is great and easy to use. We have a 1.25 receiver get very little wobble. Down side to KUAT is that they are pricey and heavy at apprx. 50 lbs. But the best we have ever had. Used for the week long RAGBRIA ride and another week long vacation with no issues...R

6. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Thanks for all the feedback. After researching several options including the NV 2 decided on the KUAT Sherpa 2.o model. The deciding factor was the weight at 32 lbs. along with positive reviews. For the bikes we haul it should serve us well. Haven't used it out on the road yet but can open the galley hatch with the rack in the upright position (with no bikes attached) and it will work well with our TV, a Toyota Highlander. Have had Yakima and Thule products over the years but the Kuat brand was new to us. It appears well built so would suggest it to others with similar needs.

7. Have a lot of friends with a Kuat carriers and they are nice. I just got back and my bike on the Thule did just fine. Very stable and it never bottomed out so my bike did okay. Wish mine was lighter because for what I was doing this weekend, I had to switch it back and forth from the car to camper. I took the car to get to my ride. Good luck, I'll be interested how your rack does, especially over many miles.

8. Doug & Cay

Doug & Cay Newbie

I am new to contributing to this site but have been using my 560 ultra for the last 4 years. We pull our 560 with a Highlander that has a 500 lb tongue weight and we use a Swagman Traveler XCS - Platform-Style 2 Bike Rack for 2" Ball Mount - Towing. We are avid cyclist and take our bikes with us on all trips. I can put our Highlander in a tight turn and the bikes will not hit the trailer. Yes the bikes fit between the car and the 560. Link is below. I like this rack because- I can see my bikes through the rear window versus hanging off the back of the trailer- the bike rack is on the back of the car so I can drop off the trailer and go cycling never switching the rack from the trailer to the car - it is very easy to get the bikes on and off the rack- I can also lock the bikes on the rack with some pad locks. Fantastic rack and cheap. Hope this helps.

Swagman Traveler XCS - Platform-Style 2 Bike Rack for 2" Ball Mount - Towing Swagman Hitch Bike Racks S64664

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Gypsy and Scottie_T like this.
  9. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

I get the benefits of this type of rack that you detail but how do you gain access to the rear of the Highlander without removing the rack/bicylcles?

10. Doug & Cay

Doug & Cay Newbie

When traveling with the bikes I lockout the rear door so we don't accidentally open it but I can still get in through the glass hatch witch opens separately. There is still enough room that I can get between the bike rack and the car and take things out through the glass hatch. When I take the bikes off I can fold down the bike retainer arm on the rack and open the rear door. There is plenty of clearance between the door and the bike rack gooseneck. It's like this rack was made for the Camp Inn. The gooseneck elevates the bikes enough so they clear the propane tank. When I first got this rack I was afraid if I put the car in a tight turn it might hit the trailer so I took it to a parking lot with the bikes loaded and tuned the steering wheel until it hit it's stop. There was clearance between the bikes and the trailer. It's the perfect rack for us. We have used this for two years with road and mountain bikes.

11. Scottie_T

Scottie_T Newbie

Thanks for the info on that bike rack. Any chance you could post a photo of the bike rack with the trailer in place?

12. Doug & Cay

Doug & Cay Newbie

13. Doug & Cay

Doug & Cay Newbie

First picture shows car with the steering wheel all the way to the right. Bikes have plenty of room. Hope this helps.
    I bought the rack on etrailer. The ball mount was purchased with it.
    Hidden Hitch Ball Mount - 3/4" Rise, 2" Drop - 15-3/4" Long - 6,000 lbs
    Item # 80232

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  14. Doug & Cay

Doug & Cay Newbie

Pictures posted

15. Scottie_T

Scottie_T Newbie

Great, thanks for posting those photos. We may have to get that bike rack...

16. Doug & Cay

Doug & Cay Newbie

You may want to reconsider. I see that you have a Subaru Outback which has a tongue weight capacity of 200 lbs. I also see you have a 560. My 560 is loaded and has a furnace which makes the tongue weight just over 210 lbs. The bike rack weighs 36 lbs and the longer ball extension adds to it about 10 lbs (that's a guess, couldn't find a weight). Add on the bikes and you have somewhere around 300 lbs give or take. That's why I bought the Highlander (we were looking hard at the Outback but the tongue weight capacity led me to the Highlander which has a 500 lb tongue capacity). Check this before you buy the rack.

17. Scottie_T

Scottie_T Newbie

Thanks for that, I had concerns about that too, but hadn't gotten around to checking on the weights & math.