Emergency Wheel Bearing Kit

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Randy, May 20, 2017.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

My emergency wheel bearing kit is complete! The case stows nicely in in the underfloor storage. I'm sure I'll never need it but you never know! I'm such a prepper, Michelle thinks I'm nuts and she may be right! :)

Randy

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Can you explain the items in the kit? I recognize some of the items, but not all.

Thanks,
    Jean

3. Randy

4. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thank you, Randy, for going to the effort of posting a wheel bearing emergency kit.
    It's one of those things you hope you'll never need, but you're glad to have it in the event that it happens.
    Nothing wrong with being prepared!

Randy likes this.
  5. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Good job Randy on putting together this kit. To elaborate on your emergency kit:

1. Assuming that the small screwdriver is used for removing the cap off the wheel hub, make sure it's a slotted screwdriver.
    2. If you use wire cutters to remove the cotter pins, then make sure you have two new cotter pins in the kit. Another option is to use a set of needle nose pliers to remove the old ones and then straighten them out. The new spindles come with a new design - there is no cotter pin, but a retaining washer that goes over the threaded spindle and has a tab on it that gets pressed into a slot in the new nut to lock the nut in place.
    3. Make sure that you have a tool to remove the old nut and put the new one on. A pair of groove joint pliers will work, or you could carry a socket and ratchet/handle.
    4. A cold chisel might be necessary if the bearing gets seized to the spindle

For those of you not inclined to make such a repair your self, I would highly recommend that you at least carry the bearing and seal kit so that a repair shop would at least have the parts.

Jim

6. Randy

Great tips, thanks Jim!

7. Excellent. Will share this information with my husband as he had asked about this during our orientation at CI.
    Thank you

8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

This is an old thread but I need to put a kit together so its new to me. It is great to be able to come here and not have to re-invent the wheel again.

9. jsnrdy

jsnrdy Newbie

Or wheel bearing kit as it were... :)

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  10. Randy

May you never need it!

Jenn likes this.
  11. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

This is one coool kit

12. A small sandwich bag can be helpful for packing the bearings. Just put the bearing and grease inside and zip it up. Then pack away. Much less muss for the fuss. Great post, Randy, BTW.

Randy likes this.