TX National Park Padre Island National Seashore - South Beach

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Brian & Lucy, May 28, 2017.

1. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Just returned from a couple nights at PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) This is literally camping ON the beach...any spot along "the longest stretch of undeveloped barrier island in the world" If you don't have a 4x4 vehicle, you might be best considering a nearby paved camp area. While on day 1 I questioned that advice, on day 2 the Park Service erected 4x4 required signs...the sand had softened and 2wd vehicles were getting stuck all over. There is a single entrance into South Beach, the first mile is full of daily visitors, each additional mile is fewer and fewer people. We went in about 5 miles. The further you go, the more likely you'll want more than any 4x4...you'll want high clearance as well, especially towing a trailer.

It was really windy for most of our trip...of course it calmed our final day. No neighbors within 100 yards either way, other than people driving by which was occasionally busy given it's Memorial Day weekend. More birds than neighbors, no bugs to speak of, and the birds weren't trying to get into our trash...fines for feeding birds helps that. Park Service drove by several times per day, and Sea Turtle watch/capture vehicles did the same.

We had fun, but this isn't for everyone. Wind and sand, wind and sand. No services within at best 13 miles. But late night beach fires, sleeping to the sound of the waves, solitude, dark sky, Texas! A couple nights was enough, but my family enjoyed it.

Attached Files:

2. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

Love your description. I've camped at the beach at least once every 10 years. In between I forget why I only do it once a decade! LOL

3. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Glad we didn't stay another night! A storm hit the coast and even locals familiar with the beach were stranded or lost their entire camp set up and vehicles. Took us about 5 hours to get all the sand out of the car, trailer, chairs, canopy and everything else! Thanks for the info on the chocks as well!

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  4. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

Timing is everything ;)