Omelet McBiscuits

Discussion in 'Breakfasts' started by mcjimjam, Nov 12, 2013.

1. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Thanks George!
    I am really enjoying playing with the DO.

For the stuff that sticks -would a liner be worth trying??

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

A liner is a huge help. You can buy them already cut to size, or get a roll and cut your own (way cheaper).

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Eileen, for many years I was a purest. My food had to be touching the cast iron. Well I started having trouble with one particular dish that I was making breaking down my seasoning, and the raw cast iron was exposed to the moisture. Yes even the bees wax seasoning succumbed.
    I then tried a liner, because I really didn't want to give up making the dish.
    I now use liners more often. Definitely helps with clean up. I prefer parchment to aluminum, but for my bean dish, it is aluminum used. With the parchment, you can fold and make them look like a giant cupcake cup. That is the bet way to go. Definitely the least costly.

4. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Thanks George.
    I will play with both liner types. The only clean up I have had problems with was the omelet Mcbiscuits. Since I would prefer a simple morning clean up, to have time to go explore where we are camping, I will use a liner next time - ill try each and see what I prefer.

The chocolate cake I make was an easy clean up -just stuck to the DO in one place and scraped right off. Impressed the birthday celebrator in our group! Fresh baked cake from the coals.
    I just got a Lodge single burner grill/griddle and have been using it in the house. So far I am loving it. It will be a great addition to the trailer when we camp!

5. Oysterpot

Clean up on the breakfast dish should be fairly simple, ensure there is plenty of lubricant (grease/ fat), and use a low heat. I have found that if you one tends to try to cook too fast with their cast iron, clean up can be an issue.
    Also put hot, as hot as you can get it, water in DO and let it get hot as well, and if the seasoning is good, most foods will come right off.

6. tjcrebs

tjcrebs Novice Donating Member

Our first DO Omelet McBiscuit recipe was excellent this snowy morning, thanx to the mcnugit's, George, and Ken.

Clean-up of the bees-wax-seasoned DO was a breeze--no sticking. Later we microwaved the leftovers and topped them with green chile sauce for lunch, while the snow continued to accumulate. Forecast is for up to 8 inches by tomorrow. Ah, springtime in the Rockies.

[​IMG]

Substituted Niman Ranch Apple Cinnamon sausage and 7 Immaculate Buttermilk biscuits, and added 1/4-cup of fresh Oyster shrooms (e.g., growing right now on a cottonwood stump in the backyard.)

[​IMG]

Note to Steve: wasn't burnt or crispy!

7. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

That looks great, although I suspect that DO purists would consider putting DO food in a microwave a mortal sin. :)

8. tjcrebs

Yup Evan, some say "sinning" is what we do best. <grin>

Good Luck with your studies & Regards, T

9. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Mighty fine looking Omelet McBiscuits, tjcrebs!! You done us proud!! Looks like you crammed an extra biscuit or two on top....all the better!

jamie

10. tjcrebs

Yup, Jamie your McBiscuit recipe is a keeper. As Picasso said: "Good artists copy; great artists steal!" We may only plagiarize.

Best Regards, T

11. Oysterpot

Evan, the sin is having food "leftover" to micro wave. Ya cooked too much, or don't have many friends LOL

12. tjcrebs

It's true George, I sinned again and cooked too much of Jamie's McBiscuit. Ahem, maybe that's why I have NO friends. Thank you, T

13. tjcrebs

IMG_2873.JPG Yesterday Black Morels sprouting all over the Sangre de Christo mountains of Colorado. A nice addition to Jamie's McBiscuit recipe! Also here's Joy's drop biscuit recipe (instead of store bought) for 8" DO:

1-cup flour
    1-T Baking Powder
    1/2-T sugar
    1/2-t salt
    2-1/2-T cut in butter
    9-T milk

Mix dry ingredients well, cut in butter, add milk, mix and drop spoonfuls on top of cooked sausage-veggies-shroom mixture.

Evan likes this.