Oly's custom additions to 560

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by David Olson, Apr 1, 2013.

1. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Becky and I didn't get a TV so we added a slide drawer for our computer which has the same 15" screen. We don't care about the TV part but thought it would be nice to watch a movie if the weather is bad. We keep a file of movies and did watch a couple when it was cold and raining on our southern trip. The wood does not match the color of the Camp Inn wood but that is alright, it is wood from our property. (red Elm) George and Ellen look closely at the picture on the computer.

Here is another addition I added.
    It is inside the right door in the gallery (our coffee bin)
    I routed a grove into the door about 3/16th" then put a small block underneath with a couple small screws for support.
    We use it for those little condiment packets.
    It measures 6" long 2 1/4" high and 1 1/2" deep.
    I made it out some of my own white oak then just oiled it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scottie_T, Jenn, schluns and 3 others like this.
  2. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Oly nice job. :)

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Looks good!

4. Would you mind if I copied that idea for the drawer and I like your choice in pictures for a screen saver.
    George

5. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Not at all George. I'm not a wood worker when it comes to close tolerances. So we had it made. But when the guy made it he actually made like an enclosed drawer with a bottom below the pull out which added a lot of weight and took more space. Just a miss communication. So I took that part off. By doing that I was unable to have the front stay put when the drawer is opened. Not a big deal. I drilled a small hole in the above cabinet to put the computer end of the cord through, but what we find we are doing is not messing around with poking it though every time.
    David
    P.S. We bought the latch from CI

6. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Really nice. Maybe Camp Inn should offer it as an option for those who don't want the TV but somewhere to rest their laptop or iPad for viewing movies.

7. can't wait to see this in real. Jerry and I have been tossing this idea around for awhile but just hadn't come up with anything we liked yet.
    So do you store your computer there when traveling?

Great job and looks very nice!

8. 1Door

1Door Novice

Good idea, and looks good too. Maybe this should be an option...

9. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Yes it stays in there out of the way. We put a piece of that rubber shelf material in there to help keep it from any movement. It is just wide enough for the laptop and then the mouse along side.

10. rrunneals

rrunneals Novice

IMG_8537.JPG IMG_8538.JPG Here is a shelf that I came up with.

11. rrunneals

rrunneals Novice

IMG_8540.JPG IMG_8543.JPG It takes a tablet or laptop

12. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Well thought out modifications! Submissions like yours is why I read the forum everyday.

Brian & Lucy likes this.
  13. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Would love to see CI create a simple slide out shelf like that for iPads and laptops!

KarenBee likes this.
  14. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Nice thought, but some of us wouldn't want to give up that knee space.

Since we use inexpensive Chromebooks ($200), we stuff them next to the mattress in the foot well next to the door. They get a bit scuffed up, but then that makes them even less appealing to thieves.

15. dnelson

dnelson Newbie

Very interesting. What if it slid out from the face of the cabinetry instead of underneath. Then there would be no loss of knee/foot room as mentioned by Inn42. That would be tough to retrofit but maybe easier at build time.

16. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

I don't need it to store my equipment, just a thin flat slide out that would take 1/2"- 3/4" of knee space. Router out a groove so my ipad can set in and not slide off. More similar to rrunneals, but could probably be even thinner. We currently just drop the storage hatch open and my wife dictates the screen is on her side! If it was coming out from the face, you would lose the space behind it for storage...that's valuable space for me.

17. rrunneals

rrunneals Novice

The rails are 1 3/8 inch square with a 1/2 inch thick
    shelf, only hangs down 1 3/8 inches. Also can set my radio on the self so I can listen to coast to coast at night to fall to sleep to.

18. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

For those of you who may have a little older Camp-Inn equipped with the original analog TV/DVD player like us, and want some other options, we removed the TV and added a retractable laptop shelf and some extra storage. We did this shortly after we bought our used 550Ultra. We used our laptop to watch movies, but found that the laptops speaker wasn't loud enough when the Fantastic fan was running, so we added a marine amplifier (takes the beating of riding in a boat) and some speakers in the cabin to solve that issue. I made speaker enclosures to try and match the woodwork, and since we were at it, decided to add a couple speakers to the galley as well. The retractable shelf did hang down far enough that it interfered with moving around when sleeping, so eventually we added a 19 in. TV/DVD player that we can hang on a couple of straps that hook in front of the AC. We made the straps long enough so the AC air outlet at the top is not blocked. We then added a couple of large holes in the retractable shelf to use as cup holders ( I don't have a picture of that mod).

Attached Files:

Mark & Casandra and Mike_Kathi like this.