SC County Park High Falls County Park

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Warren Mary Ellen, Oct 16, 2017.

1. High Falls County Park is one of three county run campgrounds in Oconee County, SC. We have camped in 2 of the 3 and have been them to be great places to camp. High Falls was well run and the staff were nice and helpful. There are 3 Loops and we were on Site #10 on the Anglers Loop. We backed up to the pretty blue green waters of Lake Keowee. The lake was built in the '60s and '70s as part of a project that included a nuclear power plant. The other two loops don't are not on the water. The bathrooms are some of best kept I have seen anywhere. They clean them twice a day or at least check to see if they need it. Sites are gravel and include water and electricity. The Anglers Loop would be the shadiest of the three loops.

Other things to do at the Park include a boat ramp and fishing pier. There are two swimming areas and picnic areas along the lake too. For those who like a game of Putt-Putt, there is a course, $1 per game. The offices and camp store are located in a beautiful old home built in 1830 which has a huge porch across the front and back of it.

Nearby, things in include the mountains of South Carolina where you find the Sumter National Forest, several State Parks, Oconee, Devil's Fork, Keowee-Toxaway, and Oconee Station Historic Site. All of them would give you plenty of places for hiking and other outdoor activities. Nearby cities are Seneca, Walhalla and Clemson.

Attached Files:

2. Gypsy

Gypsy Junior Ranger Donating Member

Nice spot! Thanks for your review. Going to check those parks out!

3. ROBINK

ROBINK Newbie

We have been camping at High Falls for 30 yrs. 3 -5 times a year. We started a family reunion 20 yrs ago that included 9 – 12 campsites for a week each year. Approx 10 yrs ago it started going down hill and has gotten worse every year. The staff is on a power trip and hunts for things to correct you or threaten you. They are very rude! They repeat themselves several times to try to intimidate you and show their authority especially to women. Every year they looked for something to yell at us about….

**Last week…..I had 2 cars on my site, the campers across the street with one car, allowed my daughter to park on their site for a few hours on Saturday. My husband dropped the boat and someone took his parking spot at the boat parking area, he had to drop the trailer in a car spot, and bring the truck to our site. Making 3 cars on my site. Late afternoon, my friend came in with jet ski’s and told them he was staying the night with us. I had already told my friend to pay the day rate and park in the public parking something should be open by then. Because 3 people came in on Saturday and told the attendant they were coming to my site, “Ranger Ed” came to tell me I had too many cars on my site and I need to rent a campsite for my Truck/boat trailer and Jet ski trailer. Yet all other campers get free boat parking and my friend paid just like any other day user and parked the jet ski in the trailer area. I told him I would gladly pay the $5 per day for the extra Jet ski parking. But he insisted I needed to rent an extra site. And told me he would “allow me to pay and park the jet ski trailer for the day but his supervisor may say differently”. Then he claimed he had trouble with me every year, referring he remembered my car. Which is a lie…We quit going to High Falls 4 years ago because of the rude staff. I have been to High Falls and driven that car once in the last 3 years, only because our family reunion was held there. I let him know several times we would not be back!!

**5 years ago, I had a street legal golf cart picking up someone that parked outside the gate so they could leave for work early the next morning. The staff at the gate started yelling at me that I could not drive the golf cart after dusk. (For years we had been driving after dark at Garden City, and other parks) All I said was “Ok” and he kept yelling at me. I told him “I understand you don’t have to be so rude” and he screamed he was not rude and kept yelling at me. The next morning, the Park Ranger visited me just to show his authority.

** The staff told us we could not even transport our handicap persons to the bathroom after dusk on the golf cart…. After several days, the park ranger allowed my uncle to use his after dark.

** Campsites are horrible!!! Tree roots everywhere. And if you do not fall over the tree roots you slide on the red clay ground partially covered with gravel. For the past 5 years at our family reunion someone has fallen and had to go to the ER or urgent care!

**After a day of boating, my brother took the trash from the boat and set it by his car, as he was getting something from his tent to take all to the dumpster. Staff was riding by and stopped, opened his trash bag, and saw a dozen beer cans and jumped on me, (a woman) 2 sites down. They rudely threaten to kick everyone at all 12 sites out of the park because we were a group. (Families 1yr old – 75yrs old) All because 4 were drinking on the boat somewhere on the lake.

** We normally pack up and go boating until 4pm on Sunday on check out day. The first 25 years they gave us permission to us leave our packed camper on an unused site for the extra 4 – 5 hours. Three years ago they charged us for an extra day without even telling they were going to charge us.

** One year (Family Reunion) we had all campsites booked around us and on both sides of the street. About 25 of us was sitting around the camp fire and one was playing the guitar and singing Christian songs... We were told by staff that we had to break it up we were too loud!

** One year we were at a friend’s campsite, playing corn hole, I told them to finish up it was close to 10pm. As they were throwing their last couple of bags, the Park Ranger shows up at 10:02! (Staff/Host had called and complained)

4. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Oh Dear!

5. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

It's too bad, but with all that history, it sounds like a good place for you to stay away from until there has been a major staff turnover.
    With your noted decline in the site conditions it doesn't sound like you are really enjoying going there anymore anyway, so it may be time to broaden your horizons, and find a new home for the family reunions. After all, going to a place where you feel like you are constantly being watched for minor infractions can't make for a very relaxing, enjoyable get together.
    Good luck with your future reunions, where ever you end up!