Carolina Camping W/chinese Takeout

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Warren Mary Ellen, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Got out this weekend for 3 nights at High Falls County Park in Oconee County, SC. This was local camping as it was only about 45 minutes from the house. No falls to see at the campground for the under the waters of Lake Keowee that was built back in the '70s but it is a beautiful. We were not quite in the mountains but just below the beginning of the escarpment of the Blue Ridge here in South Carolina. Saturday we went over to Oconee Station State Historic Site to the two buildings there, one his house built in the early 1800s and the other is the Station that was one of a series of these that held a small number of soldiers to keep the settlers and the Cherokee where they were supposed to be.

Lunch Saturday was at the Steakhouse Cafeteria in Walhalla, SC which despite the name is actually more famous for its fried chicken called the Arabian Rooster on the menu. Yellow Branch Falls was our next destination, but to get there we had to hike 3 miles round trip. (See the pic I attached here). We had the dogs with us which meant the creek crossings and steps meant I was carrying our Corgi, Monty at times.

Sunday was a lazy day around the campground. Our daughter, Katie, was with us and she had some work to do for her college classes so we just hung the campsite. I got in a nap in the hammock and later Katie and I snuck in a game of putt-putt at the campground's course.

It was supposed to rain Sunday night and I went to close the sunroof on the Subaru, I discovered we had a dead battery. The Park Staff jump started us and we had just enough time to get to an auto parts for a battery before they closed. By that time we were all hungry and not wanting to clean up dishes at the campground so we grabbed some Chinese Takeout and took it back. First time I have had Chinese takeout at a campsite. Nice long weekend and we plan on at least some overnight local trips before we put away Jeremiah for the winter.

Pic #1 - Jeremiah out in front of the Alexander - Cannon - Hill House which is the park office for the campground. Built in 1830.
    Pic #2 - Jeremiah in Site #10 at High Falls County Park on Lake Keowee.
    Pic #3 - Lake Keowee with just a touch of fall color. Just below our campsite.
    Pic #4 - Yellow Branch Falls in the Andrew Pickens District of the Sumter National Forest.
    PIc #5 - Oconee Station State Historic Site

Attached Files:

2. We have considered a battery pack and that was what the park jump started the car with. We have AAA but sometimes are camping in pretty remote places so that could have come in handy. This weekend we were not real remote.