Taco stuffed Cornbread

Discussion in 'Breads' started by Oysterpot, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

This is a recipe posted on another forum. I am going to be trying this one. Cut the recipe in half, use a 1 qt DO.

Taco-Stuffed Upside Down Cornbread
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    1 cup water
    1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
    1 (4-ounce) can whole green chiles
    1 large plum tomato, cut into 7 round slices
    2 (8 1/2-ounce) packages cornbread mix
    1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
    1 cup water
    2 large eggs
    2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    Garnish: salsa and sour cream
    10" DO
    Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Heavily grease 11-inch oven-proof, non-stick skillet.*
    Brown beef; drain. Stir in water and seasoning mix; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
    Spread chiles apart and slice each chile lengthwise in half. Place chiles rib side up in starburst pattern in prepared skillet. Place tomato slices in circle between each chile tip; place one tomato slice in center of pan.
    Combine cornbread mix, corn, water and eggs in large bowl; stir well. Spread half of batter on top of chiles and tomatoes; top with ground beef and cheese. Spread remaining batter over cheese.
    Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cornbread comes out clean. Immediately invert skillet onto serving platter. Garnish as desired.
    Makes 10 servings.

[​IMG]

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  2. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

MAN THAT'S SOUNDS GOOD! Being from Texas that's a killer! One thing I'd do differently (actually just add) would be one small can of chopped green chilies to get the flavor of the chili's (no heat) through out each bite - the whole chili's and tomatoes make it pretty, so I'd leave that alone. Oh - and for "those who like it hot" add 1 chopped jalepeno, no seeds - maybe just 1/2!

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  3. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I do believe I will try to make this at the National Dutch Oven Gathering in Kansas this June.

Do you remember where you got this recipe?

sneakerwave likes this.