Picking Up A Used 550, Camping On Way Home Saturday

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by StewUtah, Mar 13, 2018.

1. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

Holly and I are making our inaugural teardrop trip this weekend. We will be driving from Salt Lake City to Green River, Utah to pick up the trailer, and will be stopping on the way home to get our first sleep in our first teardrop. We had a Scamp 13 foot trailer for 9 years before selling it several years ago. I'm excited to get back off the ground after tent camping. I'm also curious how the Outback pulls it. Ciao

Tom & Diana P, AlCat, Evan and 2 others like this.
  2. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I'm pretty sure you'll be smiling for a while when you first tow the 550. I'm certain that it is a lot less of a load to be worried about. Let us know how it goes! BH

3. Mary & Mark

Mary & Mark Newbie

We pull a 560 with our 2012 4cyl Outback. Mileage drops to ~22mpg but otherwise it tows easily. I opted not to get trailer brakes thinking I could add them later if necessary. I've found the Subaru's brakes to be up to the task. I think you'll be happy with your Outback towing the 550.

4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

My Outback six pulls a 560 without any problems.

5. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

The Subaru pulled it great. We have the trailer home, and are excited for the camping season

Attached Files:

6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

That Subaru looks a little different than mine. You are going to love the camper.

7. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

hehe! That's the previous owner's Jeep. I haven't taken a picture of the trailer hooked to the Outback yet. Now I'm wondering why...:)

Tour 931 and Lynne & Scott like this.
  8. Lynne & Scott

Lynne & Scott Junior Ranger Donating Member

So how was your first night in the unit? Bet you are glad to have it home and can begin planning the first real adventure!

9. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

We ended up driving all the way home to avoid an expected snowstorm over Soldier Summit (7600 ft). We put it in the garage and proceeded to familiarize ourselves with it for a couple hours!! :)

dustinp, Lynne & Scott and Mike_Kathi like this.
  10. Our Subaru pulls our 560 Ultra just fine. 3 years in with the 2 of the hitched together. Hope you enjoy it.

11. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

20180402_084643.jpg

Tour 931, dustinp and Jim Carter like this.
  12. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Cooool pic, so how was a first night in it;)

13. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

It was great! very comfy. We were camping in a primitive campground just outside of Capital Reef NP, and the temps dipped to 18f overnight. That wasn't expected, but we were comfortable nonetheless. Kodachrome2.jpeg

Warren Mary Ellen, Randy and Tour 931 like this.
  14. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

I just realized that the picture is of Kodachrome State Park the next night, but you get the picture (pun intended) ;)