Galley Not Waterproof

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by Steve and Karen, Oct 20, 2023.

1. How do I know?

This last trip I eschewed my normal soft-sided wide-mouth collapsible Nalgene container, which we use for drinking water, in favour of a larger 1 gallon plastic jug, laid on a 45 deg angle in the sink during transport. Some uneven roads in the mountains of MD effectively popped off the cap and it spewed 2/3 of its contents into the galley. Most of it, I presume, went down the drain. But a not insignificant amount ended up in every nook and cranny of the galley, such as in both bins and the right side cupboard. Everywhere, except the cutlery drawer, which did its best to stay out of the fray.

The stove cubby, although it looks sealed, isn't. And it allowed water to drip onto and under the bed. The right side cupboard is siliconed at the base and kept Karen's side of the bed dry. Appropriate... since the silly big jug idea was entirely mine.

Luckily our unpacking day was nice and I could throw open the entire trailer to the drying winds.

Siliconing the base of the backsplash and the stove cubby does seem possible. But it might be easier to simply not be so stupid in the future.

Tour 931 likes this.
  2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

This is usually something caused by a open cooler drain. So, you are not the first to run into this. That area is all silicone sealed but no matter how well sealed around the edge it always seems to find a way to get through.

Cary

Kevin S likes this.
  3. When you're dealing with the potential quantity of water I released, yes... it was quite likely too much for the silicone to handle alone.

It's only water. And knowing that there is nothing in the trailer construction to absorb or wick it out of reach, and create future issues, made my faux pas a little easier to handle.

4. SethB

SethB Ranger

You did well to recognize that water takes its own path in the camper.

We had a recent experience of visiting with friends in the next campsite when a sudden cloudburst let loose. And it was (briefly) a real soaker… and our kitchen hatch was open, the wind deflectors were furled, and the sportbrella was *not* set up.

So there were a few minutes of scurrying around, cleaning up the campsite, protecting the kitchen, etc.

Afterwards I found where the water goes in this situation; it pools in the tray areas above the kitchen cabinets. For us, that area is just FULL of stuff! It all came out for the first time in years, and a quick mop up.

Be warned!

We’ve seen a couple CIs over the years that had waterstains on the interior sidewalls near the upper cabin cabinets, and the beginnings of rot under the mattress aft of the cabin doors. I think this is all about rain in the kitchen. The solution is simple when you know about this - just sop up any water asap, being sure to check all the kitchen areas we don’t usually see!

Steve and Karen likes this.
  5. So true. There's a certain utility to keeping the trailer "ready to go", and fully stocked with all the necessaries and the non-perishables; I hate "borrowing" from everyday household items to re-stock the trailer each time. But that frequently means never fully inspecting all the nooks and crannies on a regular basis, as you say. Anything liquid spilled in one place, assume that it's found its way up, down or across to another. A regular full cranny inspection also kills the second bird by forcing you to do an audit of the stuff you initially thought you needed, but didn't. Like that 50 feet of potable water hose stuffed under the sink.

I fully expected to find at least one of the under-bed bins harbouring a long-term supply of mold-inducing water. But was thoroughly delighted to find that my comforter soaked it up before it got there.

Kevin S and SethB like this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I could have written this :)

It's good to know it can happen so you can be vigilant. Another thing to remember is that if you have the windscreens option, those stop wind--- not rain. When they're up, its no issue but when lowered they will catch liquid and funnel it to those storage bins.

I need to pull my bins out now that this thread has reminded me --- although this we keep the galley open when in storage (and the fridge running usually filled with overflow from the "house fridge")

Steve and Karen likes this.
  7. I know that the front storage bins have factory drain holes because these frequently get used for messy or wet items. I don't think that there any anywhere else on the trailer. For good reason: as they may allow unwanted in to the trailer.

Because of the bin construction, and their flat bottoms, I don't believe that you can't actually see or access the true bottom where water may eventually collect; I didn't see any drain holes in the aluminum near the curved section around the water tanks. (Perhaps Cary or Craig can advise).

Whether the holes are there or not, or whether or not they are even desirable, practical or necessary, several 1 lb reusable silica bags strew throughout the lower galley regions in the corners (under the sink and with the battery) are never a bad idea. Whether you've had an actual water infiltration incident or not, and are just trying to deal with atmospheric condensation. This is especially so, during long term storage, with bin lids and the galley hatch closed. I found that the bags I have been using (they start at 500 grams dry and are 650 grams when at max saturation) have been very useful, and the specs are dead-on accurate, using a kitchen scale. Knowing that I have been pulling out nearly a pound of water from the trailer each time I recharge them is reassuring.

And Sweeney: you are not alone. My beer fridge in the shop has been co-opted for fall harvest produce storage. Though the Dometic has, as yet, been ignored for this task.

8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I often think of my camper as a suitcase and/or a liferaft. I keep a couple sets of clothes on board, my water tank is always full, and my toiletries are in place. The only thing I need to do is throw some meat (accidentally typed mead the first time...not a bad idea either) in the fridge (I eat carnivore, or try too) and I can be ready to hook up on a moments notice.

Not only do I like to camp frequently enough to justify it, it also gives me the ability to evacuate should the need arise...so far, I've only needed to do that once.

dustinp and Kevin S like this.
  9. I suppose the design requirement was to keep water out, not keep water in! :)

10. I suppose the design requirement for the sink
    was to keep water out, not keep water in! :)

Kevin S likes this.