Ontario Canada Driving Routes & Crown Land

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Torrey Sweetser, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Does anyone here done any of Ontario’s Driving Routes? We have 2.5 weeks off in July and we’re thinking about circumnavigating Lake Superior.
    ( driving routes Archives - Parks Blog)

Kevin S likes this.
  2. Torrey: It's been a while since I did the north shore. But a cursory look at the provincial reservation site shows that there are very few sites left at provincial parks like Agawa Bay in Lake Sup Prov Park. Both week-end and mid-week. This is no different from parks in Southern Ontario that are typically full up during the summer months. This is despite Superior's relative isolation from anything considered to be "people". You'll find KOAs in The Soo and T-Bay but nowhere inbetween. I can't speak to the availability of private campgrounds. Crown Land Camping isn't really a "thing" in Ontario, unless others want to chime in with some positive experiences.

I will tell you what you experience on the south shore in the UP will be altogether different (sandstone as opposed to typical Canadian Shield country) and possibly more engaging (i.e. you're not travelling hundreds of miles in-between must-see destinations, as you would on the Canadian side. I and several others have posted trip reports on the UP.

The long distances on the Canadian side mean that you'll want to have your destinations locked up, because the next one could be out of reach. Night-time travel is not advised for the same hoofed ungulate reasons that exist elsewhere on the continent.

Good luck.

Torrey Sweetser, Kevin S and dustinp like this.
  3. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Good tip!
    Moo or Moose?
    Those black ones laying on the asphalt on range land highways...in baja and Wyo...need Hella spots on the TV.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    Torrey Sweetser likes this.
  4. The ones that turn your SUV into a convertible.

Torrey Sweetser and Kevin S like this.
  5. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Ya, have narrowly missed having a muley go through the windshield...spoils yer whole day.

Torrey Sweetser likes this.
  6. Thank you, Moose Night Hazard, I remember those signs fondly traveling west on the Trans Canada. Starting my planning now and hoping for some off grid time in addition to organized campgrounds, Sleeping Giant PP is on the wish list.

Kevin S likes this.