FL Rodman Dam State Park

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Van_and_Terri, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Rodman Dam State Park in Florida is north of Salt Springs and south of Palatka. It is located on the Florida Canal which was built over fifty years ago as a shortcut for barges thru the middle of Florida before construction was halted due to environmental concerns. Sites 1 thru 13 are located near the boat ramp and have water and electric. Sites 14 thru 39 are primitive with nothing more than a picnic table and firepit. I do not know if teardrops are allowed in the primitive sites, but they would certainly fit. The last loop are sites 40 thru 68 with 59 thru 68 having a great view of the canal which are highly desired. All sites 40 thru 68 have water and electric. Bathhouses are found in loops 1 & 3. The campground is very quiet with the occasional sound of an Owl, Whippoorwill, or Hawk. Lots of great fishing nearby. We did take a one hour drive to Cross Creek, the home of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings who wrote two famous books about Florida entitled “The Yearling” and “Cross Creek”. The Yearling was made into a movie. I will attach a pic of one of the campsites, boat ramp in the campground, the Florida Canal, and home of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Attached Files:

2. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Nice review, neato spot.
    Bookmarked for later use, thank you!
    I'm really impressed with the good job FL does on state parks.
    How did you get the reservation, btw?

3. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Being retired, getting a reservation from Sunday to Thursday is fairly easy once the snowbirds leave. Florida residents can now reserve a month earlier than out of staters.

Kevin S likes this.
  4. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

There is a Yearling Trail a few miles south of Salt Springs on Hwy 19 which is where the Long family resided in the Ocala National Forrest. The Long family was the inspiration for the book entitled “The Yearling”.

Attached Files:

5. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

TY for the history...I love digging into the people who made the places while traveling...checking Amazon...looks like two movies (one an Oscar for Cary Grant) on the same story?

https://us.amazon.com/Yearling-Philip-Seymour-Hoffman/dp/B07BLKZZ8T

https://us.amazon.com/gp/video/deta...dp_amz_c_TS5124c5_1_1?jic=16|CgNhbGwSA2FsbA==

I'm noticing that Floriduh is SO not homogeneous...its like six different places in one...

And so many interesting stories- I did some reading on the beginning of Cedar Key...pirates, tyrants, someone told me "Steinhatchee is the town that square grouper built"...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  6. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

It appears both movies are based on the same story. The reviews are better for the earlier release.

Kevin S likes this.
  7. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Another! Reason to retire to FL!!!