Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

About a hour of heavy rain and wind. Great leak test for the teardrop.

Kevin S likes this.
  2. I’m a lurker, plus new CI owner . We have the G6 pro that has the zippered side walls vs Velcro style…almost like a hunting blind. And yup, too many step 2’s will test a person using the back door .

Attached Files:

Kevin S and dougbee like this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

There was a documentary --- it may have been on Netflix --- where this landfill was unearthed. I think ET probably takes too much of the blame for starting the video game collapse, it wasn't that bad of a game it just wasn't that good either.

An Atari 2600 was my first console. Favorite games were all pretty much "Anything from Activision" Pitfall was obviously the first choice. YARs Revenge was also really good.

The fact that the 2600 was really designed to play games link "tank" and not much more shows the pure genius of what the developers are truly capable of. They squeezed every last ounce of power out of that machine...

Kevin S likes this.
  4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I went back and found you --- I remember our brief exchange now. The G6 is a nice tent, and for my intended use its great. I'll be putting it up this weekend since we've got a little rain forecast and cooler temperatures through Friday. That is the sweet spot for it.

I STILL want to find some one who has cut all the screens out of it --- even when the unzippable ones are open and the flaps all up, in the summer, I find the tent far too hot and not enough ventilation...

I think if we didn't have a campinn, a setup like yours is where we'd be. From what Verna tells me, their quality is respectable compared to the rest of the industry.

I've just been burned so severely by "Elkhart" that I'll never be able to look at anything that comes from there again. CI is undoubtedly capable of mistakes, we are all human. That is not the problem. CI fixes things that aren't right, and you never have to go through an 800 number only to be told you have to go back to the dealer after calling the dealer, who claims it is a manufacturer problem.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Kevin S, Torrey Sweetser and dustinp like this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

2 more weeks of 'workation' --- its gone by fast.

I made it to the Galloping Ghost yesterday...I want to go back. It would be nice if there were hotel near by, but the 2 that are look like they'd be at home in an episode of 'braking bad' --- If you're a child of the 80's, and you're within a reason drive...its worth the trip. During the day it isn't busy and parking was a sinch.

Games List | Galloping Ghost Arcade

Most of the games were in the same I remember them --- some needing repair, some needing full on restoration -- by that I mean controllers rebuilt, screens re-capped or replaced. Owning this place would be a maintenance nightmare. They had games I forgot about long ago, and MANY I had never even heard of, one was in an asian language with not a word of english on it.

Its sad to say...I am no longer the arcade rat I was, and the games really did challenge me, even ones I knew and loved back in the day. I remember being a LOT better at donky kong, and frogger...

But stick a pin in your map...this is worth the trip.

Kevin S likes this.
  6. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Thanks Sweeney for your detailed opinions on the RV industry. Saves me brain damage considering going bigger/how to. The CI hits my sweet spot and I may be buried in it...or roll it onto a boat light on fire and set out to sea, Viking style...j/k of course.

Really like the G6's in various versions...
    And thanks Torrey for the pic on the T@G with one...shows the versatilty of setup on the G6. And "hunting blind"- srsly, I do like that Clam has one in camo...can anyone with influence persuade G6 to do same?

A question for you Sweeny and Dustin and Torrey, from the past or when you get a chance, next:
    "can the galley roof remain up, with no/light contact with G6 roof canvas when you have the tent tucked in?

I *think* Dustin mentioned yes in a past thread but there was a suggestion as to how to pad the galley edge- use a bit of pool noodle or
    the hot water pipe type insulated covers you can get at Home Depot to slip on and would make that rubbing worry free.

I have a couple spots on the New Breeze that rub depending on how I set it up snugged up to cover the back galley...is why I ask. (The G6 was not known,

back when I got the NB12x12 as a screened room for skeeters, based on reviews here.

Since then The Clam became popular and is pretty nice too.

but based on user reviews since including yours, the G6 seems like best fit for the CI as a standalone, that can also double as a semi securely attached space extender. And to my mind its more useful for the cold side of shoulder seasons...too cold for most bugs, when you want to hang out and be cozy, vs the sweaty hot shoulder somewhere with max bugs...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Torrey Sweetser likes this.
  7. Hey Kevin, pool noodles or the pipe insulation are exactly the ticket. With the T@G we ALWAYS closed the galley when we left of overnight since the storage on those is not up the CI everything was too exposed. We have also used it as the side room to directly escape into, perfect for that too. We tried several variations of shelters as we are tent campers too. kelty, Hasika, Big Agnes all have their places but the G6 rocks…could camp in it and be happy. Like all screen rooms you need something to keep the air moving, we have a couple clip on 6” fans that work wonders but if not too buggy thermocells work and opening all the screens. The G6 for all sides except front door, the top triangle unzips and lets air through from all sides. I will dredge up some pictures to show, it is almost 8’ high at center and ~13’ across.

Kevin S and Tour 931 like this.
  8. T@Gs and T@Bs are nice if you are weekend campers or short. Azdel walls are easy to clean (even when they get “Jackson Pollacked” with skeeter parts) but you are limited to things like Command Strips if you want to customize the interior, or build a free standing frame (we made a bunk for the pups).

Indiana is too hot to camp in the summer, and where I am it is too humid in the Ohio Valley…. 78F with a heat index in the 80’s at 4am is too hot and that is June-August here.

Kevin S likes this.
  9. If you play video games, look for the Clown Motel, it is located in Tonapah NV is a part of the set for one of those multiplayer online games (as you can tell I am not a gamer, pong was about as advanced as I got).

Kevin S likes this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Yes, in fact I just set my G6 up and back it a little farther, the fridge is making very light contact on the wall, its actually pretty decent as we are looking at a likelihood of rain where I'm at this weekend. Nothing severe, but enough I want more of a roof. Other than the fact the screens make it 'stuffy' its quite serviceable....but that isn't a problem this weekend as the temperatures are still a little cool -- in the 50's right now. I'll be closing the roll-up covers in the morning I suspect...

My hatch isn't even touching the roof...so I don't need the pool noodles. It amazing me how many places those are used, and rarely around a pool :)

The best solution to date is the Cottonwood from Pahaque....but they won't put them back into production for some reason :( Just a roof, no sides unless you add them. Prefect rainfly. Dries fast, folds up easy and stands up to winds. I REALLY wish they'd do a production run of them. I've also got a Coleman (that I set up an CICO) which is great, but its steel frame and heavy, having the other benefits of the Cottonwood. I'm happy with what I have --- depending on the weather and some advanced planning, I'm set for most contingencies :)

We definitely have cancelled trips because of heat...there does come a point where it just in't fun. My favorite is right now...cool nights, warm fire, no bugs. Parts of March/April/May, then September October and early November are perfect for me. As long as the temperatures overnight aren't sub freezing and the salt is of the roads...Lets roll!

Speaking of hot, we went to Natural Bridge in Kentucky a decade ago --- when we pulled in the phrase uttered was "ya'll aren't from here are ya?" Walking 30 yards from the shower house to the camper you needed another shower. That was the only trip we ever just looked at each other, neither saying a word, and packed up and left. Beautiful park though. I want to go back in October some year.

I know the motel of which you speak. A couple YouTubers I follow have gone there, and I had to hit stop. You'll never see me there. Ever. Clowns totally freak me out...coulrophobia, the struggles are real.

I'm not into the big multiplayer games -- Frogger, Donky Kong, Pacman -- the classic arcade games are my speed....and after embarrassing myself a number of time yesterday, they may be too fast. My reflexes are gone -- or, their controls just needed a lot of work. Let's go with that one, I like it better.

Kevin S likes this.
  11. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Hey Kevin, I think the pipe wrap/pool noodle idea was someone else's, but it sounds like a good one. I am using some pipe wrap for the little suction cup and pipe attachment we are using to keep the Clam's front door screens closer to the CI side walls to help keep the bugs out when present.

As Sweeney mentioned, if you get the CI backed far enough into the shelter, the hatch won't rub on it.

If you've got your heart set on Camo, I'm afraid you may be out of luck, right now anyway. Clam no longer makes the Pavilion in Camo. I tried doing a search for it, but when I clicked on the results, all the places that showed it, then said it was no longer available....but I could have missed one somewhere.
    Haven't tried the G6 yet, but may be soon.

Kevin S likes this.
  12. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Thanks Dustin! Sort of j/k on the camo, as then I'll be reading old Sweeney posts about wraps and such to color match the CI...;)

And dodging the lookie-loos drifting in my lane going "WHAT is that!", which we all get some as is, amiright?

I do like when items can serve multiple purposes, so "hunting blind", "ice fishing house", "CI 3 season extender", and "yurt in backyard for guests..."

Setting the stage for a G6..."Its worth it, for the $$$."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'm generally happy with the G6....

Pardon the trashed galley...the only 'tight spot where this trailer contact is the lid on my fridge when opened. Unzip the panel or just exercise a little gentleness and its not a problem in the least.

Something that hasn't been discussed in great detail is how much space there is....and the answer is ... a lot. I could easily put 2 or 3 camping chairs, or 2 chairs and a table for a rainy. Its supposed to rain, so I pulled my grill inside and left the side table up....still room for 2 chairs

Each of the side panels have an eyelet in the center. I could easily pull the camper forward, and move the tent up on the pad --- then tie down the trailer at each of the eyelets. As it is set up now, I just drove tent stakes into the corners that were accessible.

Setup: It's a little touch and go the first few times because it just feels wrong. The clam uses the same geometry, and it's a little more stable because it doesn't have multiple layers, zippers, and missing sections. I've never "inverted it" -- You just have to be very aware of how you're setting it up, and even though it feels wrong, follow the instructions, and you'll be fine.

Except for the poor ventilation caused by any screened enclosure... it's a solid piece of kit that I carry with me every trip.

It's big, but it fits perfectly in my rooftop cargo box—right next to my other tents, chairs, side room, and galley cover. I THINK I finally have it figured out after more than a decade doing this. I've gone from 2 hours of frantic packing to "back up, hook up, shuffle to the door..." (those who know, know) --- I can be on the road in 30 minutes or less with no warning, even if I have to empty the cargo area of the Jeep for some reason...

Attached Files:

Van_and_Terri and Kevin S like this.
  14. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Great pics, Sweeney, thanks! Looks really nice.
    Looking forward to more pics of the new/old Jeep as TV

Sweeney likes this.
  15. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I wish they would add a zippered door to the G5. We love the size of the G5 since it’s never more than 2 of us. Most of the time, it’s only myself.

Kevin S likes this.
  16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

yah the 6 is a little heavy to get into the roof rack....Need my wheaties , or bacon & eggs....

Kevin S likes this.
  17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I’m back home and recovering from my kidney surgery. I’m sore all over but the pain isn’t too bad. I can walk up to five miles a day and can do stairs. What I can’t do is be bumped riding my tractor or lift more than ten pounds. It will be a four to six week journey to full recovery.

Chuckwagon, dougbee and Ken & Peggy like this.
  18. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Glad to see you back. Hope your recovery continues to go well. Keep up the good work!

Tour 931 and Kevin S like this.
  19. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Glad to hear your safely back in the nest, and starting your recovery. They say "Motion is the lotion", and if your doing stairs and 5 miles a day, that's a lot of lotion, which should make your road to recovery a much shorter one. Take care!

Tour 931 and Ken & Peggy like this.
  20. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

So glad to hear it went well.

Tour 931 and Ken & Peggy like this.