15amp Trailer at 30/50amp KOA campsite?????

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Doug & Amber, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

We hope to own a 560 within the next year. We are researching everything such as CI options, National Parks and Campgrounds.

One electrical question we have: Is it ok to connect CI shore power to a campsite with 30amp or 50 amp service? I see that the 560 CI is 15amp. Any concerns? Looking at KOA campsites and most other campsites, they only offer 20 / 30 / & 50amp service.

Thanks,
    Doug & Amber

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Yes, it is fine. 20 Amp service will have the standard plug you are familiar with, just plug in your standard extension cord.

If there is no 20, there are inexpensive adapters that you can get to convert the plug; once the plug is compatible, no worries plugging in.

I think it is a rare place that won't have a 20 amp service plug.

3. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Rotus8,

So then I assume that 30amp and 50amp service will each require a special adapter? Just wanted to make sure I would not fry anything if we were to plug into a 30amp or 50amp service, since the CI is only 15amp. Thanks!

D&A

4. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Rest easy. You won't fry anything. With amps, the load will only take what it needs. The source only needs to be bigger than the load. Just think that you can take a drink from a lake, but you can't fill a swimming pool from a puddle.

It is totally different with volts - if you plug a 110v appliance into a 220 volt socket you will get smoke, sparks, and fire. The plugs are different so you won't do this by accident.

5. Kelly

Kelly Novice

Camp-Inn sells them. See their online store under miscellaneous.

6. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, I never knew there was a difference until camping in Canada and the only site available was a 30 or more sites.

I couldn't figure out why the plugs won't fit. Finally went to the office and got it explained to me.

Bought the $4-6 adapter and just leave it in the storage comp in the TD.. Plugs are different so you'll know. If it fits you can use it... if not, well get another adapter..

I don't know if there is a different one for the other 30-40-50 amp plugs, haven't come across that..... yet anyway...