A couple new pieces of iron...

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by Ken & Peggy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We spent the weekend up near Baraboo, WI and hit a few junk and antique stores. I picked up a muffin pan? with a nice looking handle for cheap, and found a Griswold waffle maker that looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm hoping to get them both cleaned up and ready to use for Easter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

This would be an aebleskiver pan. It is for making aebleskivers! It's a Danish combination of a round popover (light & fluffy texture) and a pancake made with apples & batter. Like making a good pie crust, there is technique & practice involved in having a really good result. I watched a gal at the IRG make these She has been doing it for over 40 years. She used a pan that had been her grandmas...she whipped 'em up in no time & they were delicious. Remind me a bit of my moms apple fritters. :)

You can buy new versions of these (and some that aren't cast iron) but I would favor the older pans. I've come across several being used at teardrop gatherings.

:cool:

3. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Betsey. These look deadly! Aebleskivers by Arne

4. Aebleskivers are so, so good. My great grandmother used to make them for us on Sundays when we came to see her.

5. Ken & Peggy

I'm cleaning that piece first so I can try making the aebleskivers right away...

6. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Nice pieces Ken. Both make some very delicious dishes. I have a similar waffle iron, and absolutely love the waffles. Haven't picked up the Ableskiver yet.

7. Ken, let us know how they turn out. Might have to look for another piece of iron.

8. Ken & Peggy

Hi George. I am trying the electrolysis method to clean the aebleskiver pan and it seems to be working pretty well so far. When it's got it's 1st coat of oil I'll put some before and after shots up here.

9. Ken & Peggy

I'll definitely let you know how they turn out - my guess is that I'll screw up a few while learning the 'turning' technique. The good thing is that even my mistakes should be edible.

10. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Just read in Cooks Illustrated a great way to take spices with you. Put them in a jumbo pill organizer. I saw a pill organizer at GNC that each compartment pops out. I think I'll try it and see how it works out.

Carol

11. But that is the fun of it all. I know we had a "few" learning expierences with our waffle iron, even went as far as going back to reseasoning it before we got it right. Now they come out great! Enjoy the new items.

12. Ken & Peggy

Aebleskivers!

I cleaned and seasoned the Aebleskiver pan, and this morning made my 1st aebleskivers. I didn't know what one was until last week. These will be made again - they are pretty darned good.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Aebleskivers!:
    [​IMG]

13. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Re: Aebleskivers!

We're in big trouble. It appears that our very own forum moderator has forgotten how to post photos...

14. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

No pictures needed...there weren't any aebleskivers before they were made...and there weren't any aeblskivers after for a picture because he ate them! :eek:

:cool:

15. Ken & Peggy

That's weird, they show up fine for me. I'll go try to modify the url's.

16. Ken & Peggy

Evan, I never knew how to post photos!

17. Ken & Peggy

Waffle Iron - cleaned up

I wound up having to strip 2 coats of paint off the waffle iron, but it turned out nice. Now I need George's favorite recipe... (Evan, if these don't show up, will I be demoted?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Ken & Peggy

1st Waffles with the new iron

MMmmmm...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Re: 1st Waffles with the new iron

Beautiful. I'll bet it tasted wonderful!

20. Ken & Peggy

Re: 1st Waffles with the new iron

They were delicious! It'll be these or aebleskiver's for Easter breakfast. Maybe BOTH?