AC solution

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Matt Rogers, May 30, 2012.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Hello everyone, I have been gone a long time, busy with work bla bla etc. and had to make a return to share an easy fix for a big problem a lot of us in the south have with the camp inn AC. So, like many others, my AC didn't run when it was hot out, or would run intermittently. Basically if it was hotter than 85 degrees, forget it.

The Crosley stock AC had a compressor failure and crapped out. No big deal, it's a basic 5000 btu window shaker. I used this blessing in disguise to research the hell outta AC units that fit the hole perfectly. Found it! Yes, it helps to keep the camper in the shade...but this AC is a trooper, not yet has it cycled off from an overheat. Camp inn is awesome though, they use Mortite type sealant that stays soft. So, taking the AC cover off takes about 5 minutes. The whole swap out took about 30 minutes. Also, now I have digital climate control, a remote, and an extra fan speed. it's a GE AEW05LQ. It was $140 from Sprawlmart, who is only place I could find it, hence the "W" in model number. They make the same one with different model number, but I could not find it anywhere for less than $200. I will keep everyone posted, but so far so good and we have had some hot weekends so far this year.

2. JeffL

JeffL Newbie

Hi Matt, thanks for the report. I'm planning to have Camp-Inn build me a 550 Ultra later this year, and am putting together my options list. One must-have option for me is an air conditioner. After reading your post, I'm wondering about the feasibility of "sharing" a window AC unit between my teardrop and my house.

My house doesn't have central air conditioning, so we have a cheap loud old window AC box that we occasionally install in our bedroom window during heat waves. Might it be practicable to occasionally pull a GE AEW05LQ AC unit out of the teardrop, for use in my bedroom window? Or are we talking major surgery? (I'm handy with tools and wiring, but am also somewhat lazy.)

3. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Jeff,

That would be very very impractical.

Cary

4. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Jeff, If you are somewhat lazy, you will not want to be sharing one AC between your house and CI. There are two options for AC in a Camp Inn. First is having the tear built with the AC option. Second would be to add some form of redneck AC piped in thru the a door window. THe AC would sit on the ground. Require engineering of two hoses, one for return and one for AC. Bilge pumps and switches required. Plus have to set up at campsite, store in either tow vehcile or tear. Easier to turn on the built in AC.

If AC is a must, order with your build. As Matt outlined, AC can be changed as required.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I wouldn't do that! you gotta take apart sealant etc. it would leave a huge unfilled hole in you teardrop if you go camping without it. I think it would turn camping into a headache. Unless as Jean said...some sorta redneck thing...maybe with 4" dryer vent etc?

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

The $500 campinn charges for AC is fair, even if stock AC only lasts a year. There is a cleverl drip pan, plumbing, vents, and labor all built into that price. Maybe take the stock AC out and use it in your house and put the pimp master GE in the teardrop?

7. JeffL

JeffL Newbie

Thanks all, that's exactly what I wanted to find out. I'll plan to order the stock built-in AC.

8. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

When it's too hot in the house, go sleep in the Camp-Inn. :)

RShep and Mark & Casandra like this.
  9. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Or: When it's too hot in the house, hitch up the CI and run to a cooler spot.

It's fun!

Sue

Mark & Casandra likes this.
  10. I like Sue's way of thinking!

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

104 degrees in the shade and the GE AC never quit. Worked all weekend day and night! During a short period where sun was shining on the front portion of the camper, it couldn't get the temp below 76. But otherwise it ran like a champ. The galley hatch should be closed for optimum airflow.

12. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

OK 104 minus 76 equals 28. They say A/C should not have a differential exceeding 20 deg. Not for the unit, but for your health, if you go in and out alot. So I say the little unit was sufficient. Hopefully 104 is a once in a lifetime experience.

13. slumry

slumry Novice

It was 104 degrees in Eastern Washington today, 100 yesterday. Temperature in the galley was 112, poor little Dometic. Never turned on the A/C, just kept the fantastic fan busy and sleep with the doors open and screens zipped closed.

Doh! we Missed a Sisters of the Fly vintage trailer event in Moses Lake on Saturday, 50 trailers. We must have driven right by it without knowing.

14. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

You are in good company...the temps here in Wisconsin didn't drop below 100º all week. High was 106º at 6:00pm Thursday. Heat index was added on top of that. Today's high of 84º actually felt quite refreshing! :D

Hopefully, we are done with that for awhile.

Too bad you missed the Sisters group...that would have been interesting!

Safe travels!

:cool:

15. slumry

slumry Novice

OK, Betsey, I guess I should provide some full disclosure, the heat in Eastern Washington is a dry heat and easily coped with, if they had any humidity out there, that would be very different. Plus at night it drops to the mid 60’s. On the west side of the mountains, the high temperature recorded this year is 76! One reason we went east was to get some heat.

Did I mention the cherries this year, they are so awesome when picked the day you eat them.

16. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

From Slumry post above it seems you don't use the a/c. Do you think it really is necessary. I am still in line to be built and can not deceide on this option. I am in Salem, Or and I am not concerned about it here but traveling to Arizona, Nevada, Eeastern Washington etc.

I am just looking for another users opinion. Do you think it would be of value for re-sale down the road?

Thanks,

Dave

17. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

We lived in Utah for 9 years, so I am very familiar with dry heat & I, too, would take it any day over humid heat. :)

Yes, fresh cherries are the best! We had a cherry tree in our back yard in Utah & always competed with the birds for who would get the most...usually, they won, but we did get plenty! Here, if we want fresh cherries, we go to Door County...rather a long drive, but well worth it!

Dave,

We don't have AC & have traveled in the West. The dry heat wasn't a problem for us. Now, camp where it it hot & humid most of the summer (like in the south) & you will need it. Even here in Wisconsin, as long as we have had a fan, we've been fine.

It will depend on what you need for your comfort level. Having asthma which has gotten worse as I've gotten older, there are times I wish we did have AC. However, it was not an option when ours was built. Fortunately, if we are going somewhere that the humidity will be high, we will take one of the rentals with AC.

I haven't heard many who have the AC wish they didn't get it. But I have heard several who did not get it & wish they had.

:cool:

18. slumry

slumry Novice

We got the A/C because we expect that our travels will takes us throughout the US and Canada during every possible weather, both hot and cold. My wife does not take heat well. If you plan on camping where it is hot and humid or hot and raining or hot and you don’t want to sleep with the doors wide open, the AC will pay for itself the very first time you use it. We just have not had to use it but in order to ensure future domestic harmony it is worth the investment. For western Oregon and Washington it would not make much sense, even eastern Washington and Oregon you could cope. For Arizona, when it is hot, you will need the AC. For Texas and the South, I think it is a must have.
    Also, remember, there is no way you will be able to retro fit an AC unit.

Fwiw, one thing that we really like is sleeping with the door to the side tent open and the side tent windows open.

19. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Dave,

I live in Beaverton. I decided to get the AC because at some time in the future, I plan to hopefully travel to many different climates and want to be prepared for each. The AC needs an electrical hookup so be prepared to pay for either an RV park or a state park with electrical hookups.

20. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

What Joan said. Who knows where our travels will take us, and you can't add it later. That being said, we have used it once in two years - but were very glad for it then. Electricity is the limiting factor for us. We hardly ever camp with electricity. If we get a bad case of global warming here in the NW, then I'll have to pony up for the honda 2000w generator.