Adventures of the Love Shack

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Jay & Valerie, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

OK, so we had our maiden voyage this weekend. I think Valerie is giving in and letting me call it the Love Shack.

Overall everything went well. Met some great camp neighbors that were on their maiden voyage with their travel trailer. We are already planning further excursions with them.

No major issues, did forget to lower the antenna for the radio on the drive home but everything else went fine.

I think we do need some additional shake out trips as wife forgot her migraine meds and had to go back on Sat. morning to get them...thank goodness we local to home. Also needed a longer dog leash and a few other odds/ends.

Camp neighbor had a drone with camera and got some great arial footage of the campground and the trailer set up so I will be posting a video soon from the trip. I need to get better and taking more pictures though as I did not stop to think and grab some.

Here are a couple I did grab of it set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Cool! Looking forward to seeing the drone footage.

Cary

3. Jay & Valerie

Just posted it to YouTube...for some reason, the finished video keeps getting corrupted in some spots but it is still great footage.

http://youtu.be/I9ISBJGzlUk

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. birder526

birder526 Novice

Great video and love those aerial shots! Hope it was a terrific maiden voyage!

5. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Love your trailers name, are you B52 fans? You're lucky to get aerial footage of your campground, Washington state just banned all private drone flights in state parks, I can only guess that other states will follow suit.

Michael

6. Jay & Valerie

Thanks. Would not say big fans but enjoy some of their hits...I kept joking about the name and Valerie kept shooting it down but it finally stuck.

It's a shame about all the drone hysteria. I get that if EVERYONE is flying drones over the campground, that would get annoying. However, the park systems are missing out on a great opportunity. Quality footage will draw more people in. As for the privacy thing, you are in a public campground, there should be no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place.

I think they should be regulating drone usage but to ban it outright is just stupid. They should put rules in place like no harassment of animals, no flyovers after 9PM, address noise levels (can't be louder than xdB, etc.

It just seems like a knee jerk reaction to new technology. Hopefully it will work itself out to everyone's benefit.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

7. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Jay and Valerie,

Awesome video! Our 560 will be done in a couple of weeks, we are getting excited. Where did you get the under counter baskets? Did they require any modification to get them to fit so nicely?

Thanks,

Randy & Michelle

8. Jay & Valerie

Hey Randy,

Thanks. It was a blast for the trip.

As for the baskets, since we bought the trailer used, they were already there from the previous owner. However, there was a thread in the Gallery somewhere that showed how these were done.

I will see if I can dig it up.

9. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I ordered the small Sterilite stacking bins #1660 from Amazon.
    I'm only using two in the left storage bin. I got two tension type curtain rods and put them in place in the bin. No holes drilled the lips on the bins just sit on top of the rods. I did take the handles off and reversed them.
    I put one in the other bin using some screw in hooks and two dowels. That didn't work out well as two of the hooks broke off as I was screwing them in. I later decided I didn't want a basket in the right bin.

10. Jay & Valerie

We are getting ready to hit the road for a long haul to California/AZ border on the Colorado River.

Family has an annual gathering at McIntyre RV Park. Go off roading on the AZ side of the river by day and hang by the campfire in the evening. Last year we froze in tents while everyone was comfy in their Class A/C motorhomes, not this year though!

Will post some pics of our trip as it progresses.

Google Earth Pic of where we will be...

McIntyre RV Park - Google Earth

It's a semi permanent RV park with it's own boat launch, etc. My sister/bro in law share a trailer on the premises with their daughter and her husband.

11. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

sounds like a great trip. I really enjoyed that first time turning on the furnace after all those years tenting. Have fun.

12. Jay & Valerie

Just got back from a 2 week adventure in the Love Shack.

Spent T-Giving weekend (Wed-Sunday) at McIntyre RV Park in Blythe with my Sister and her family (36' class a), my Dad (34' class a), my younger brother and family (rented 34' class a), my niece and her family (staying in their perm trailer at the park). My older brother came out for the day and brought his family.

It was a lot of fun. We rode motorcycles and UTVs, had lots of good food, shot bow/arrows, shot up bowling pins and clay pigeons in the desert with 22s, shotguns and 9mm. While I grew up around guns and learned gun safety at young age, I am not all that interested in sport shooting (or hunting), but it was still fun. One of the other campers (not with our party) even brought out a 50 Cal Barret Rifle...wow, that thing was pretty impressive. He shot into the hill side about 1/2 mile away and all you could see was a giant puff of dirt plume when it hit.

I seriously need to get better at taking pictures....my dad did get some pictures of my 560 wedged between his and my sisters RVs.

We then went on to Mesa AZ where I had to work for a week and my dad has a house. Even though we had access to the house, we still slept in the Love Shack.

While in Mesa my truck continued to have issues and a few more new ones popped up so I gave up and traded it in and bought a new Chevy Silverado. We finally got back yesterday afternoon. 2 weeks on the road, it was good to be back in my own bed but loved every minute of our roadtrip.

I really like being able to pull over, climb inside and get some real rest while on a long drive. I didn't even care that it added several hours to the travel time because you could break it up and were better rested for the drive.

13. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

And of all the units in the campground, the teardrop was the talk of campground!

14. Jay & Valerie

Yes, we did attract attention. Apparently while Valerie and I were out riding, one of the neighbors with a permanent trailer came over and took some pictures of the outside and chatted up my sister about it.

As we were leaving, I heard several comments as well.

Even driving back about 2AM we had to pass through the Texas border patrol station on hwy 10 outside Van Horn and one of the agents was chatting with us about the trailer for about 5 minutes as a pile of cars were stacked up behind us. I can only imagine what they were thinking as they saw the agent questioning us.

I need to remember to put some brochures in our truck as well as the trailer.

15. Jay & Valerie

Well, another trip down with the Love Shack. This time we went to Pedernales Falls State Park. I posted a review of the park in the forum for those interested.

We met a couple other Teardroppers and a few other Tiny Travel Trailer folks from TnTTT.

There was quite a mix of Casita, Scamp, Buro, Scotty and homebuilt teardrops and tiny travel trailers. It was a colorful crowd for sure...most have been camping together for 10 years or so and had lots of great stories. They can be a bit mischievous for sure...nothing harmful but fun loving.

They talked about a time they water bombed a group of boyscouts with water balloons from behind some bushes using a giant 2 man sling. When the scout masters came to find out who was doing it, they all scattered. Mind you, this is a group of middle aged adults acting like they were 18. Quite funny.

One of them goes to the CICO every year as he summers up in Chicago and winters in Texas.

We had a great time...I will add some photos from our trip to this thread and the review I posted once I get them all uploaded.