air springs

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Brian MT, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Brian MT

Brian MT Newbie

I recently bought my 550 classic and I tow with a 2008 toyota sienna and found after the hitch and ball weight combined with the camp inn I would drag going over dips and speed bumps.

I did some research and discovered air springs... simular to air bags for trucks and it works great!!!

Has other done the same???

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I have Air Lift automatic leveling kits in two of my vehicles and had one on a previous car too. I wouldn't tow without it, I think it is great. The kit I use has two air bags for the rear, a small compressor, a solenoid release valve, and a sensor/controller that senses the height of the rear suspension. If it is too low for about 10 seconds, the compressor runs lifting the rear. If it is too high, the solenoid opens lowering the rear. I tow a full size car trailer, utility trailer, all kinds of loads in the car, and of coarse, the 560. The Air Lift compensates for everything, keeping the hitch height within about an inch no matter the load.

Installation of the kit is a bit of a pain; if you are not handy in the garage you will want to get a shop to install it. It is not really difficult, but requires some big tools and several hours as well as some mechanical and electrical experience.

Addendum: I looked at the Air Lift website for your car and it seems they don't make the kit I have for your car though they do have several options that would work. In fact it seems they have discontinued the automatic leveling version of their controller (rats!). There may be other suppliers that can do an automatic control system, but the manual version may work fine for you, just a bit of fiddling every time you hitch and unhitch.

3. Brian MT

Brian MT Newbie

The kit I bought is actually made by firestone and purchase off amazon. It is much simpler. Two air bags with separate lines. Each one filled independently with a little 12 volt air compressor that I plug into the cigarette port of my van.

Simple... work... inexpensive. ...

4. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Can you send a link please?

5. Brian MT

Brian MT Newbie

I can't seem to get cut and paste to work on my cell phone.

Goto www.amazon.com and search air springs and your tv make and model.

I hope that helps

6. CamperJohn

CamperJohn Newbie

If you're looking for AirLift, you can find one from 4WheelOnline. ordered one for my brother's Frontier.
    hope this helps too