All Stainless Steel Option

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Randy, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Wouldn's an all stainless steel CampInn be cool? Too heavy? Too expensive? Too hard to fabricate?

2. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

Randy,

In a salt water environment I think you would be looking at 316L Stainless Steel. This contains 16% Chromium, 10% nickel, and 2% molybdenum. The molybdenum is added to help resist corrosion to chlorides (like sea water and de-icing salts). The L at the end of 316 is for low carbon.

316L is relatively expensive material. It is much harder to form into shapes such as the Camp-Inn trailer when compared to aluminum. If the trailers were mass produced then expensive stamping machines could be justified, but not for a custom built trailer.

Additionally, prep time for drilling holes for attachment hardware is significantly longer.

The reason for stainless steel fenders is to resist dents from tires throwing small pebbles out from the tread. It is a harder material and stands up to this type of abrasion better than aluminum. This is why I ordered the Alcan cover for the front of the trailer.

If Camp-Inn built all Stainless trailers than my wait time for the build would go from 7-1/2 months to about a year or more. Also, only the rich would own one, as I expect the cost to increase about 30-40%.

Aluminum is a good material to resist salt corrosion. However, whether driving an aluminum or stainless steel trailer, I would rinse off the skin fairly soon after exposure to salt water or de-icing salts.

Mi dos pesos.

3. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

No way Sherry! I want one!! Thanks for the link, I found Cary's comments about all stainless steel:

"Of course the big one is the stainless skin option. At this point this is still a no. Many hurtles would need to be overcome to do this on a production level. We will keep striving to make it happen some day though."

5. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

My recollection is that Craig said that the stainless steel skin added around 300 pounds to the trailer. And shaping the metal for the galley hatch and around the teardrop windows was a bit of a bugger.

6. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Some mornings I find the galley hatch on Dewey a bit of a magilla to open. When we picked her up #500 was sitting in the corner so while no one was looking I poked around marveling at the craftsmanship and all, I lifted the galley hatch and almost busted a gut, it's heavy, real heavy, might be an issue with some folks.

We have a lot of 316 stainless steel hardware on our boat, I spend a lot of time polishing the rust off. 316 SS stains less but is not stain free, it will rust in a harsh marine environment.

This last summer we met a man with an aluminum skin teardrop trailer from the 30s, still lookin sweet...

[​IMG]

...aluminum is a fine material to skin travel trailers with.

Michael

7. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Not the only one built...there is one other from several years back...believe it was a 550. It didn't have the front windows, due to the issues of using the stainless and the way the windows were formed at that time (very labor intensive & they were convex, not flat).

Yes, there was a reason that was the only one built (until #500).

There are also a couple of 550s floating around out there with a microwave built into them...Galley configuration is a bit different due to that.

And, yes, there is a reason no more were built...

Hmmm...maybe I should add these little tidbits to the Teardrop Trivia section...been awhile since I've posted anything there.

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Oh, someone was watching, as we have it all on tape...oh, and the file from the FBI revealing it was your fingerprints on the hatch... ;) ;)

:cool: