Alloy Wheels

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Cal429, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

Alloy wheels.

When I was a youngster (oh, so MANY years ago!), I had a series of bicycles with chromed rims, chromed fenders, and various other chromed parts. My early-50's Schwinn Black Phantom comes to mind. Now, as a boy I was never one to take very good care of my things, but my recollection is of rust spots on the chromed finishes after only a few weeks, and by a year, most of the chromed surfaces were downright ugly.

So no wonder I get nervous looking at those chromed wheels (or are they stainless? Dunno, but I'd guess not). I suspect, and hope, that chrome-plating technology has come a long way since the '50's, so it's not something that keeps me awake at night, still.... And I'll never buy another car with with those ugly, prone-to-rust painted steel wheels.

So when I ordered my Camp-Inn, one thing I thought about (but didn't do) was not ordering a spare, but instead going out and buying alloy (i.e., clearcoated aluminum) wheels, and using one of the OEM wheels as the spare. Of course, I didn't do that, but the moment the original wheels start to rust, if they do, off they'll come in favor of alloys of some kind.

2. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Jim,

Might as well go buy 'em now.

Hilditch

3. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I am personally not a fan of Baby Moon style rims...I know it fits with the era of the Teardrop but I saw a 560 with aftermarket alloy wheels and it looked fantastic. When we place our order, I plan on buying my own rims/tires and sending them in to be put on.