Almost getting arrested for "breaking in"

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by Evan, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

This morning in Tennessee, I was fiddling with the lock on the galley because it's a little sticky. Then three patrol cars did the fast approach, hands where we can see them thing. Somebody had reported that I was breaking in to SnuggleBug. I think that they just wanted a tour.

2. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

Nice to see law enforcement is out to protect Snugglebug from a food break-in. Did you have any donuts in the galley to reward them?

Too bad there isn't a video of the surprise on your face. :) I'm betting your wife will tell that story a few times around the 4th of July barbeque.

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, funny... and 3 cars? geesh, I've never seen one anywhere near a campsite other than the rangers...maybe that who you were talking about...

Good to see someone is out there watching... it's getting a little crazy at popular campsites, stealing wood at night etc..

sad...

4. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Stealing fire wood, now that's low. We tend to put everything away or run a cable through everything left out like camp chairs and barbecues after hearing stories about campsites and whole campgrounds being swept clean by night time thieves.
    It's a bit of a pain to lock things up every night but we haven't had anything stolen yet. A neighbor asked about our wheel chock locks once because their 32 foot trailer was stolen while they were away from camp!

Michael

5. birder526

birder526 Novice

Glad Evan wasn't thrown in the slammer!!

Got to say that hearing these theft stories gives me shred of anxiety! Always be careful and hope for the best.

6. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Diane, as I usually camp on my own with my child, I have appreciated the momentary friendship of people in the campground. I felt like I had folks who had my back, and we watched out for each other. I also always tell myself that there are far more good people in the world, but the bad ones get all of the news coverage. I haven't had any trouble with break ins or theft. I have had a little trouble with some terrible driving and near misses, but that is a totally different situation. I am careful about securing things at the campground (I grew up in a college town, and know if it isn't bolted down it will walk off...heck, even if it is bolted down it might walk off). I also don't take anything that can't be replaced. It is different I am sure for full timers though than us weekend (or weeks) warriors.

Evan, I am glad the vacation wasn't spoiled by an arrest, but I am so glad people were looking out for you guys. Just think if it hadn't been been you and it was a thief! They would have been nabbed for sure!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

7. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

One of my friends that we camp with frequently is a 25 year sheriff. He also camps with fellow law enforcement friends...he was telling me that one of his co workers had a generator locked in the back of his truck and it was stolen one night while camping. These guys typically have various law enforcement insignia and stickers on their trucks indicating their profession....stealing from a cop is bold and quite risky as you have to know they are armed even when off duty.

We camp with our dog and she is a light sleeper and tends to bark at noises close to camp. Can be hard to sleep at night sometimes but also has a deep and menacing bark (though she is only 45 lbs) and sound like a big mean dog. Hopefully that will be enough to scare off most would be thieves.

8. birder526

birder526 Novice

We are careful and will be tuned into our surroundings. We'll take your advice, thanks. We look forward to meeting our co-campers, too!

Michael and I are meeting up with Bruce and Jackie Herbig next week. Since we are both in New England, we thought it would be great to meet. We are planning on meeting them again in May at the Dam Gathering. Love making friends through this forum!!