Another Fine Weekend In Our Raindrop

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Lane and Michael, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Lane and Michael

Lane and Michael Junior Ranger Donating Member

Cobscook State Park in northeastern Maine offers some of the loveliest sites of any campground we've visited over the years, and we were lucky to have three nights in total privacy right on the water where we spent many happy hours watching the tides and the birds, recuperating after hiking. We eat simply, and made a discovery that perhaps is common knowledge. We suggest that you never, ever rinse and drain a can of black beans in your CI's sink. After three warmish days of that broth simmering in the holding tank, the stench from the tank's vent was overpowering. I flushed the tank thoroughly when we got home and left it full overnight with a bit of Clorox. Hope that will do the trick.

Recently I have read some threads about building the trailer without the sink. Lane and I can't imagine opting out of those luxuries. Running water has made dealing with food preparation so much easier, and clean-up is a snap, even pleasant.

We love our new camper but, as this mistake shows, we have few things to learn. If you plan to camp in Maine, Cobscook is a great place to try. Reservations are a necessity. We will be using the Firefly again next week. This is the first fun summer we have had in years. Just getting away for a few days and having no obligations for that brief time is truly good for the soul.

Evan likes this.
  2. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Sounds like a great trip! I plan on visiting Maine when retirement comes around. Been there with the smelly grey water tank. Pour a splash of this down the drain before you leave and you'll never have that trouble, stuff works great! Instructions say 2 oz per 40 gallons so it lasts a long time.

Pure Power Blue Waste Digester and Odor Eliminator - 16 oz.

Randy

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  3. Lane and Michael

Lane and Michael Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thank you. I will give that a try.

4. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I'm one who chose to go without the sink option. Of course there will be water - just using a portable jug as the source. For my needs, it makes things much simpler. I will report back as to how things are going with this decision once I have some experience with it in the field.

Thanks for the info on that park. I would love to get to know that part of the country better. Ben H

5. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Our 550 came without a sink. We mostly camp at FL State Parks, so available water is never a problem. We carry our water in when availability is a problem. We love the simipility!

6. Gypsy

Gypsy Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017