Anyone Towing With A Late Model 4runner?

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Ben, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I will be in the market for a new vehicle in the next 4 months or so and at this point the Toyota 4Runner and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk are the 2 top contenders. I like all the creature comforts of the Jeep but am wary of the poor reliability relative to the Toyota. An odd thing I've noted about the 4Runner is that the 7 pin plug is mounted way over to the left side of the bumper. I'm wondering if folks can tow with this configuration or do you have to purchase an extension to tow? Thanks for any insight. Ben H

2. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

I would go with 4runner, just better vehicle overall and one of the beat resale value,

Tour 931 and Ben like this.
  3. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

I tow with a 5th Gen 4Runner. The 7 pin plug is up out of the way because many people do off-road their 4Runners and the typical location would get caught and break off. My #318 550 connector was probably long enough, but I did cut it and splice in a new connector to give me another 18" just in case. The first few times I did have to get down and look for the connector...after that I know exactly where it is and simply reach up and connect. I've seen some of the newer trailers seem to have more cable length, so may not need to do what I did. I'm thrilled with my 4Runner, and what it can do in all the crazy places I can take my Camp Inn!

Tom & Diana P and Ben like this.