Arb Awning Mounted To Raindrop

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Rfoley, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Rfoley

Rfoley Newbie

Haven't posted anything since we got our Raindrop in 2012 but I've done some modifications that I''m pretty happy with.

• Table relocation option
    This one was pretty straight forward. My wife and I were never happy with the dinner table in front of the sink, so I just ordered a second set of mounting hardware and mounted it above the water/gas access which is a bit high. I had to make a leg extension for that position but we now have three places we can mount any of the two tables. We normally put the cooler in the new higher position which leaves the dinner table easily moveable between the other two spots.

IMG_20180331_101116.jpg
    IMG_20180331_101126.jpg
    • Roof rack/ARB awning mounting
    The awning was a little more involved. We didn't get the factory roof rack when we purchased our trailer and I had seen the post on Ron's Rack so I decided to do my own. Only certain rain gutter towers will fit, I have a set like Ron's backordered but these Thule towers work well also. The awning is an ARB 2000 x 2500. We are really happy with the way everything came out. Once road tested we plan on getting another awning for the other side and also getting a attachable screen room and three wall attachment which will be interchangeable between either awning.

Rich

IMG_20180331_101339.jpg

IMG_20180331_101711.jpg

IMG_20180331_104220.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    RollingRob, Mike_Kathi, Jenn and 8 others like this.
  2. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

I travel solo. My question is whether one person can reasonably set up the ARB shade at the campsite?

3. Rfoley

Rfoley Newbie

15243498644891992468273979703201.jpg 15243497302537351868065422459535.jpg Yes, you can set it up by yourself, my only complaint is on the extension poles, they suggest swinging them out while you unravel the awning, but they just hang there in the air while you're unraveling the awning. I'm worried about the these little plastic pivot pieces snapping. That said, they are available and inexpensive. We are actually camping and have it set up right now, really like it. One other issue would be height, my wife and I are both around 5'5". The way we have it set up, I'd say if you are over 5'7", at the lowest point, you would just clear. I'll try to post a picture of the part I'm concerned about.

RollingRob and Jenn like this.
  4. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

5. DrTwitch

DrTwitch Novice

Has anyone reading this thread looked at the Foxwing awning? Looks great, but want to know exact usable height .

Foxwing 270 Degree Awning

6. TearDragger

TearDragger Junior Ranger Donating Member

We mounted the ARB awning to our new 2018 Raindrop (560 Ultra) using the standard ARB mounting brackets onto the Yakima Jetstream cross bars. To do so, you need to use readily available T-bolts from eTrailer.com (Replacement T-Bolt with Nut for Yakima Rack and Roll Trailers - Qty 4 Yakima Accessories and Parts Y). I did have to drill the holes out a bit on the ARB mounting bracket from 8mm to 3/8", a minor adjustment. Otherwise, it was a breeze to mount.

I also added the new ARB Deluxe Awning Room side tent. We don't alway use it, but boy is it roomy and nice when you want to great side room! IMG_5428.jpg IMG_5459.jpg IMG_5462.jpg

7. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

What does the awning do to your gas mileage in transit?

8. TearDragger

I’m sure it really has more to do with the tow vehicle. We’re in 2008 4Runner, so aerodynamically, it will depend. For us, maybe 1 MPG with racks and Awning, maybe 0.5 mpg. Probably really depends on driving speed too. Well worth the luxury of the awning in my opinion.

9. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

In your photo looking at the mounting from the top, it appears that there is a gap between the roof of the trailer and where the awning begins. Is that accurate. If so then it seems like rain would drop in between the camper and the awning?

10. TearDragger

That is correct. The awning is by no means sealed to the trailer. How far back you set the brackets to overhang the trailer more is up to you. The pitch of the awning is completely adjustable as you adjust leg height.

We used it several times in the rain with no issues, though I'm sure in a driving storm with high winds, that may be another story all together. The attached awning room does seal completely, so anything you have inside there can be protected from a storm. I guess in a big storm, I just wouldn't sit around with the trailer door open for long. :)

11. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

How is the fit between the trailer door and the awning tent door? I would imagine that you'd have to leave the tent door unzipped all the time to be able to open the trailer door? Any pics inside would be great. I can't imagine retrofitting at this point but this could be a very attractive alternative for new buyers rather than the side tent.

TearDragger likes this.
  12. TearDragger

We’re heading out this weekend. I will take some pictures for posting next week.

One can always search YouTube videos on deluxe awning side rooms. That said, the fit against the trailer is based partly on how far back you fit the awning bracket over trailer roof. If you move brackets further back over roof, the tent will drape more against trailer. Make sense? The interior tent/room door is U shaped to ground (see videos and pics - soon). Wide enough to let you open trailer door.

A true storm seal will never be accomplished, but the overall solution is amazing! I never mention that 1 person setup time for awning is <1 minute, and additional 2 minutes for side room. No kidding!

Ben likes this.
  13. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Which model ARB Awning did you purchase? 2100 or 2500?

14. TearDragger

Not sure of current model numbers, but was the 2000 mm x 2500 mm version. This equals 2 m x 2.5m or roughly 6’ wide by 8’ deep.

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  15. SethB

SethB Ranger

Over our COVID break I mounted an ARB 2500 to our 560. It is 8.2’ by 8.2’, it doesn’t seem too large on the camper, and I think we will enjoy the space!
    ARB 2500 awning on a CI 560 Ultra

We mounted it using standard ARB brackets, drilled for u-bolts, on Yakima round bars. I stuck a set of canoe brackets on the bars as well, though we usually put the canoe on the tow vehicle.
    ARB awning brackets drilled for u-bolts, on a Yakima round-bar rack

I expect gas mileage impact to be minimal or none. The ARB is incredibly small when stowed, the end is about 3”x4.5”.

***edit***
    PS. I meant to mention: This rigging solution puts the awning fairly close to the roof. Good for people up to about 5’10”. Six-footers could raise the awning poles a bit... or, a different rack/bracket solution could raise the entire awning.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Van_and_Terri, Randy and Jim Carter like this.