Autowbrake Electric Brake Controller

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Pelagicflyer, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Pelagicflyer

Pelagicflyer Newbie

Tour 931 likes this.
  2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I use the Tekonsha 90250 brake controller that also mounts on the trailer Amazon.com: Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Automotive. I really like it. It has a remote controller in the cab that lets you apply the brakes manually, for testing or in extreme slippery conditions.

Looking over the Autowbrake installation instructions, the Tekonsha looks much easier to install. You attached it to the trailer frame somewhere near the front, mine is mounted under the furnace. It has a 7-pin socket that accepts the trailer connector. It also has a 7-pin cable and connector to attach to your tow. No wiring to figure out, and no calibration. The only fiddly bit is the remote has to be synced to the controller, the signal is RF going through the tow vehicle wiring; some people have reported problems getting it to sync, but in my case it worked first thing.

I have three tow vehicles and this allows me to use the trailer with any one, only transferring the remote from one to the other; no controllers in the vehicles to mess with.

Kevin S and Tour 931 like this.
  3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I had no idea they made such a device that went on the trailer. thanks

4. Busy B

Busy B Newbie

First I've heard of the autowbrake . . .
    We also use the Tekonsha wireless controller. Installation was simple, and we just toss the controller in the glove box when we're not towing.

5. After talking to Cary, we are having it installed by Camp-Inn on our 560 which is in the process of being built. We bought it and had it shipped directly to CI.

Mark & Mel likes this.
  6. sneakerwave

sneakerwave Novice Donating Member

Please keep us posted on the forum. Looks very promising, especially for a tow vehicle with not a lot of room to mount a traditional controller.

- Nancy

7. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Sorry to revive an old thread, but those who have the Tekonsha 90250 brake controller, does the remote that goes into the car have to remain plugged into the car's 12v socket? I am debating between the Autowbrake, which has a small key fob, and the Tekonsha, which is significantly less expensive and looks easier to install. The downside I see with the Tekonsha is that it looks like the remote has to be plugged into the 12v outlet, which we would want for charging our phones while driving.

Would appreciate any insights. Thanks.

8. rotus8

The remote does hove to be plugged into a 12v outlet. It needs to be powered up and accessible to adjust the braking power and to manually apply the brakes for testing or in loose conditions. I plug mine into the outlet inside my truck's console. I do want to plug other stuff there too, so I got a 12v 2-into-1 socket adapter, something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Cruising around Amazon there a number of choices of adapters in many variations, some even including a USB phone charger outlet or two.

9. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Thanks. Have you had any difficulties with the Tekonsha? I'm wondering if there is a benefit to the Autowbrake over the Tekonsha. The price difference is significant, but the Tekonsha looks much simpler to install. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like I just plug the camper's 7-pin into the Tekonsha, and the Tekonsha's 7-pin to the TV?

10. rotus8

My Tekonsha has been trouble free, the installation is quite easey, just plug it in as you say, and bolt the box to the bottom of the trailer with a couple of screws. I have heard reports of some campers having trouble pairing the remote to the controller, but mine worked the first time. I really like that I can tow my trailer with one of several vehicles and all I need to do is move the remote to the next car.

Having said that, if I had known about the Autowbrake when I got my trailer (I am not sure it was even available then) I would have seriously considered it. If you get it when ordering a new trailer, the installation is a snap, just ask Cary to do it. :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Kevin S likes this.
  11. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Old thread, but I have this product mounted in my 550, and it works like a charm. No matter what I hook the 550 up to, it works! No switching controllers and under dash clutter. It is proportional, and you can calibrate it while driving, just like a Tekonsha or others.

Kevin S and Sweeney like this.
  12. rotus8

Another revival of an old thread. Our Tekonsha packed up on our latest outing so I will be replacing it with an Autowbrake. I'll post here about the installation when I get it done, I will be doing it myself after a bit of advice from Cary.

Kevin S likes this.
  13. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

I had this added to my new to me used 2010 560SUV and its worked trouble free on 16,000 miles of various abuse...;)

Of course, now I've jinxed myself...;)

14. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

Does anyone have experience wiring the Autowbrake to their trailer?

15. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

I did, and it works well. Don't need to wire a controller to the tow vehicle each time you get a different one.

16. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

Do you mind telling me where you located it, and did you use a junction box?
    Thanks!
    Ed

17. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

I mounted it vertically on the right side of the curbside galley, under the counter. I did not use a junction box, just made connections to the wiring behind the plywood.

Kevin S likes this.
  18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I love mine --- I know this thread is more about installation, but its great being able to simply hook up and go without moving the Tekonsha. I liked my P3, but the autobrake is the best thing since party sliced pizza...

Kevin S likes this.
  19. Turnip936

Turnip936 Newbie

I did the same. Working in the wiring nest adjacent to where the SLA battery sits was a little cramped and required some contortion.

If you contact CI they will sell you an Autowbrake kit which contains the controller as well as some connectors that would make for somewhat easier installation. I had purchased the Autowbrake separately already, but Cary sent me CI-specific instructions; these conained some helpful pictures.

Kevin S and Ken & Peggy like this.
  20. Overland24

Overland24 Newbie

We sent the battery door to CI yesterday for them to install the Autowbrake. It’s supposed to be a quick turnaround, so we decided to let the experts install it.

Van_and_Terri and Kevin S like this.