Auxiliary Battery For Refrigerator

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by rotus8, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Did some modifications to my auxiliary battery box. I removed one of the two cigarette lighter ports and replaced it with a Zamp solar port. I tried using a Zamp solar panel cigarette lighter adapter and even though it was a Zamp adapter. I was getting a reverse polarity error on my charge controller. Zamp connections are so confusing. I prefer the regular port anyway as it provides a tighter and more waterproof connection. I had previously replaced the cigarette lighter port on the side of the camper with this same port.

I also dremeled a hole in the box and added a voltmeter with two USB ports. The cool thing about the meter is that it has a cover to protect the USB ports and you can read the voltage through the cover without taking it off. After I was all done I added some sealant around both.

Through it all I learned how to solder splice wires together. Never to old to acquire a new skill! As my brother Dave would say, "good clean fun!"

Amazon.com: LaoDa Dual USB Charger Socket Waterproof Power Outlet 2.1A & 2.1A with Voltmeter & Wire In-line 10A Fuse for 12-24V Car Boat Marine Motorcycle: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: Zamp Solar RVROOFSIDE Sidewall Port: Automotive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Tour 931, rotus8 and Ken & Peggy like this.
  2. Randy

Just ran across this. Apparently you plug this into the 7 way connector and it seeds a signal to turn on the running lights. Don't know if it would work with the 550.

Running Lights Activator for Campers and RVs

3. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Should work just fine for 550 or 560.

4. Randy

Don't need it for the 560, as you know the 560 has switches for turning on the running lights. The 550 doesn't. Love having them on at night. We call them our porch lights.

hiadventurer likes this.
  5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I like that feature also. It helps finding it in the middle of the night on a long walk back from the bathroom.

hiadventurer likes this.
  6. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I added a Battery Coulometer to my battery box. I used the same one I put into my trailer as it has worked well. Installation was not too bad; I connected the meter shunt to the battery terminal with a piece of flattened 1/2" copper pipe since I didn't have a piece of copper strap wide enough to take the hole necessary for the terminal bolt. I cut the hole in the box lid with a utility knife. I haven't tried it on the road, but it indicates as expected when plugged into the charger. The voltage indicator is now redundant, but I think I will leave it as it is a verification that I remembered to turn on the switch.
    upload_2019-5-20_9-15-4.jpeg
    upload_2019-5-20_9-15-21.jpeg

Kevin S and Randy like this.
  7. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Bumped just because its so useful!