Awning rail and 10 watt solar panel

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by David Olson, Oct 15, 2014.

1. David Olson

David Olson Novice

I got the awning rail installed above both doors and Becky has one awning mostly done just a little more tweaking to be done. Will post pictures when it is done.

[​IMG]

I also put a 10 watt solar panel on top of the air conditioner cover. I was able to run the wires and hook up to the charge controller with out drilling any holes.
    This should give the battery a little boost after we get our Dometic for when we do any stopping during the day before we get stopped for the day.

[​IMG]

2. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Nice. Love the idea of the awning rail. May need to do a retrofit like that on mine.

3. Pick

Pick Novice

Great idea can't wait for the finished pictures and fabrication details.

4. David Olson

David Olson Novice

The panel and awning rail is actually taped on using 3M VHB tape. It is an industrial double sided tape. The screw heads, I actually cut off all the shank except about 1/8 - 3/16". The end of the shank is stuck on the tape then I put just a dab of JB weld around the screw flange. Non of it is going anywhere. The end of the rail I ground down to match the curve of the profile. The awning is actually putting very little pressure on the rail. We had it up all last weekend. But need to put a hoop in to raise the center up.
    Here is where I store the poles for the awning. I used 2" PVC and attached a tube to the support under the camper and it has screw on caps on each end and the caps have a cord attached so I don't loose them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I added a place to store those condiment packets inside the storage door on the right.
    I used my Dremel and cut in just a bit so that it is inset and glued with a small support underneath.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Can you post a picture with the awning up? My husband likes the storage for the poles and was thinking of also using them for fishing poles.
    Thanks
    Gina

6. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Nicely done. I was also planning on picking up a big PVC pipe with end caps to store tent poles for the side entrance tent. Looks good.

7. David Olson

David Olson Novice

I will post awning pics as soon as we have the final one done. We had one of them up all last weekend but need to put a hoop in the center to raise it up. They will be real nice in the rain or just keeping the dew off our shoes.

8. CampMech

CampMech Novice

I can't wait to see the awnings! I would love to have them on mine!

9. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Here is our first awning.
    It is 38" x 38"
    With a center fiberglass hoop rod to raise the center up.
    There is an aluminum cross tube between the upright poles with a hole drilled thru one wall, that is where the one end of the center hoop rod sticks into.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

It looks simple, tidy and easy to set up. Also easy to pack and light. Some might not like to have to duck to get under but it has a lot of advantages and looks good.

11. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Ooh! I love that! When are you starting mass production and can I be one of the first orders?!

12. Pick

Pick Novice

Sweet! I'd like two.

13. David Olson

David Olson Novice

The whole idea of it for us was just to be able to get in or out if it was raining without getting so wet. Or to leave our shoes under it if it was dewy and not have them get wet or even be able to leave the windows open further if it was raining. Becky can actually just barely stand up under it. I'm not that tall so it is no big deal for me either.
    There is a 1/4" fiberglass rod on each side (like what driveway markers come with) that just slips in and out of a sleeve and the whole thing roles up to about 3" around and 38" long.

14. birder526

birder526 Novice

So creative! I love the ideas on this forum!

15. David Olson

David Olson Novice

16. birder526

birder526 Novice

They look awesome!

17. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I wasn't kidding about seeing if I might be able to get a pair out of you! I love it!

18. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Sarah,
    I am glad you like our awnings, I think they are going to be great.
    Becky got a bit flustered trying to get the fit right and really does not want to sew any more.
    My upright poles are from a canopy that we hated and repurposed the poles as are the braces that go across the top between the upright poles.
    You may have noticed in a post earlier in the thread that I did not screw the awning rail on, but used 3M VHB tape, an industrial double sided tape. I am very confident in its long term holding capability but this may not be for everyone.
    If you were to see it in person you would never know it was not screwed on.
    I would bet that someone on here can improve on our first design which would be great.

19. CampMech

CampMech Novice

I like them! Very clever!

20. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

David, the shop where I used to work would go through about 10 rolls of that 3M VHB a week. Expensive stuff, but if you clean the surfaces properly the bond becomes virtually unbreakable. It takes a couple of weeks to reach full strength, and after that it will tear the aluminum skin off the trailer before it lets go. Seriously good stuff.