BBQing : " BGE "

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by Louie R Magdaleno, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Hey all, I posted this elsewhere, but decided to share this with you ..

Anyone looking for the " Ultimate BBQ / Smoker " ..?

ROASTED SUCKLING PIGGY : Done my way , using the " Big Green Egg ".. !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    11.5 lbs Suckling Pig / 3 hrs @ 350 Degrees / Very Moist & Tender.

It was alright for the first try.. However, I would do a few things a bit differently on the next “ PIGGY “.

1. Marinade the meat under the skin with: " Goya ; Mojo Criollo Marinade " using a Meat Injector type of Device, down both side of the Spine, Neck & Hams. I had a large 24 oz bottle in the Fridge , but I didn't want to interfere or clash with the " RED ADOBO SAUCE ", already on the Piggy.
    2. Aluminum Foil all four Feet, along with the Ears.
    3. Cook at a lower Temp (250-300) until internal Temps reach 170 degrees: I used a Digital Steel Cabled Thermometer @ 165. You can always brown at a higher temp later.
    4. Allow for a longer Cooking Time: 5 - 6 hours @ lower temps.

[​IMG]
    Last weekends Menu: Marinated , Grilled Game Hens.
    [​IMG]

The " EGG " has been the easiest, friendlest , most versitile " BBQ / Grill / Smoker ", I've personally used..

1. Slow Cooker/Smoker (w/Charcoal).
    2. High Heat for Searing meats ( 700+ Deg)
    3. With a Cast Iron Pot ; I can deep Fry anything that will fit in the pot.
    4. I can cook with almost anything that will burn : Wood / Charcoal, etc.
    5. I've had to converted my "Egg" to use a propane burner, due to the Apt Managements insistance " No Charcoal " (Fire Insurance Issue's).
    [​IMG]

So, I haven't been able to do any " Slow Coooking/Smoking " with Charcoal, lately.. ):

L.M.

2. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Flavor is in the food and the smoke. Texture is in the technique.
    If you keep your outdoor crock pot at 250o or less the resulting texture will be like barbecue. If you sneak in a few chunks of the right wood you will get the flavor of real Barbecue, but you might get caught 'cause it smells so good! I use chunks of hickory and wild cherry in my Weber and that beautiful pig would take about 5 hours at 250 +/-. The experts would do 220 to 225o for 8 hours.

Hilditch

3. Hey Hilditch,

Thanks for the additional info !!

I'm still in the " Learning Curve Stage ".. !

The difficult part is trying to keeping the " Cooking Process " from " Smothering itself out ", at the very low temps (-220/250).

So,I've played it safe by keeping it in the upper range, which is pretty easy to do with the " Egg "(top & bottom Vents).
    However, if I walkaway for a few Beers, the temps may start to drop, when left un-attended for tooo long a period of time (fell asleep once).

For whatever its worth.. The Rear Leg portion (ham) was the size of a " Turkey Leg ", with almost the same flavor. I also felt the " Meat " was more flavorful, after one night in the " Fridge " (rested?), heated & served the next day.

My girlfriend refused to take part .. So, there was enough for me and my buddy (her Son In-law)to eat for a few days..

I "guess-estimate" the " Piggy " would serve approx 6-8 Adults,with side Dishes.
    Approx cost for Piggy: $100 - $125

My favorite part was the " Head ".. ( :

L.M.

4. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

L.M.,

A guy told me he could keep his at 200o after cooking with charcoal for hours. That may be BS; as he is. It could be more difficult with propane.

The old fashion way: Low (220 to 295o), Moderate (300 to 400o), Hot (over 400o). BBQ is low & slow. Moderate is for roasting. Hot is for searing. Searing first for a few minutes seldom hurts a piece of meat as it holds the juices/flavor in better.

Good luck.

Hilditch

5. Hey Hilditch ..

It's very possible to keep it at " 200 " with charcoal. But, it does require sitting (monitoring) next to it , & constantly adjusting the vents.. for hours .. Yipes.

Thats based on my personal experience & really depends on the " Quality " of the Charcoals; Very,very Dry, no fillers, resulting in a good even burn,etc. I've had some bags laying around that might have asbsorbed some moisture, that didn't burn as expected .. ?

I don't do any " Slow Cooking / Smoking " with propane..it's only good for cooking on " Med / High ". I just had to make the visual modifications, for the "Apt Management", when they visit... ? I've had a few " Neighbors Complaining on the Smoke " , even with the Propane " (I'll sometimes add a few damp Wood Chips ).

I've done about a dozen " Turkey's " since the piggy. They are alot less expensive to practice on .. ( :

p.s.: Lots of other useful " BBQ " info on the " Nakedwiz " website !!
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Checkout the " Lump Charcoal Database ".

L.M.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  6. Hey All,

For the record, I posted this information on another forum, on my then " New Raindrop ".

www.camp-cook.com
    I'm currently planning a " Maiden Voyage " with my new " Raindrop " , during the " Thanksgiving Weekend ".

The " Camping " area ... does not allow any " Open Flames or Charcoal Cooking " , due to " US Forestry Fire Restrictions ".

So, I decided to pickup a propane " BBQ / GRILL / SMOKER " .
    Cabela's Premium Stainless Steel 7-in-1 Cooker/Smoker
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/...parentType=index&parentId=cat20120&id=0005862

I initially converted my " Large Green Egg " with a " Propane Burner " , to use " Propane , which worked out okay ! ...
    However,I wasn't tooo thrilled with hauling it around (EGG), & possibly dropping and cracking it :eek:

Here's a few photos:
    [​IMG]
    Positives: Looks really cool in stainless , base is very sturdy for use as a propane " Cooker / Fryer ".
    It will go well with my " Raindrop " & breaks down into three main parts for easy storage & or transportation.
    Its alot lighter in weight than the " EGG " , and much more portable.

[​IMG]
    Negatives : Fit was a bit loose on the center body attachment (Cabelas Label ) . And a few of the wing nuts were oversized threads, un-usable.

The bottom Small pot w/ handles provided (approx 12" dia x 5" D ) in the kit , was toooo small to be used as a " Turkey Fryer ". It would do for Frying : Chicken /Hush Puppies / Small Fish & Fillets , ect.

The Larger / Taller pot was taken from another project, which I'll now use as a " Turkey Fryer " with this unit . !

I've gotta clean the outdoor porch of all my " Grease Stains Spills " (Cooking & Cast Iron Re-Seasoning Drippings ) :rolleyes:

I decided to try out my new " BBQ Grill " .
    [​IMG]
    6 lbs Roaster sitting in a " Brine " overnight, in the Fridge.
    [​IMG]
    I picked up a " Turkey Cannon " from " Big 5 Sporting Goods " last year on sale & haven't tried it out !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Roasting/Baking pan wouldn't fit . So , I used the drip pan covered in foil to avoid any additional grease spillls & clean-ups !

[​IMG]
    Chicken Roasted @ 350 , for 2 hrs. The meat was very moist & almost falling of the bone.

[​IMG]
    Plated and served with " Jambalaya Rice w/Sausage & Shrimp / Au-gratin Potatoes / Green Beans ".

" IF " I had to do it over again..? I should have gotten the " Small Egg ".. & used the propane conversion.

Oh well, just sharing some info !

L.M.

7. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

I only use briquettes for curing lard coated cast iron. Lump is the only way to cook food.

Hilditch

8. YUP.. Lard & Charcoals, work good together for reseasoning " Cast Iron " , although I tend to make more of a mess..!

www.camp-cook.com:
    I'm firing up the " Green Egg " to burn off the old stuff & re-apply some original " Pork Fat/Lard " to reseason..
    [​IMG]
    Charcoals
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pork Lard ( :

My girfriend has " Banished Me " from doing this in the kitchen. She can't stand the smell of " burning lard " ( or PAM )& is not thrilled with my continuing " Collections ".. She thinks I've collected tooo many (for use)at this point !!

L.M.

9. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Try using Beeswax. It will not turn rancid from lack of use.

10. Hey all,

I'm not trying to teach anyone on how to " BBQ ", just sharing my personal attempts, using my " Large Green Egg ".

So, I was kind of wondering how " LOW & SLOW ", my propane modification would perform, without having to make any adjustments to the upper & lower vents ( Air Control ) HMMMMMM ?

Okay, time for a little test, using my favorite bird, " Spadcock Game Hens ".

[​IMG]
    Two Game Hens, marinated for one hour, using " Goya Marinade ".

[​IMG]
    Large Green Egg, preheated to 300o

[​IMG]
    Game Hens laid out , skin side up.

[​IMG]
    Temps drop after opening & Adding Game Hens.

[​IMG]
    I checked on Temps after 15 min, & also to rotate the meat to cook evenly, every 15 min, thereafter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Appears to be approx 270o, which was the average High Temps, for the entire 1 hour Cooking time.

[​IMG]
    The juices were still running red after 45 min cooking time.

[​IMG]
    Last 15 minutes cooking.

[​IMG]
    Propane cranked up on high,to burn off the Grill.

Lessons learned.
    1. I can't use this set-up with temps under 250o , without fire blowing out, with dome/lid closed (both vents wide open).
    2. I can't crank Temps Higher than " 550o " with the dome/lid closed (both vents wide open).
    3. I'm really impressed with the " Flavor " of the " Goya Marinade " . I'll have to let it set overnight in the fridge, on the next try !!

http://www.goya.com/english/product_subcategory/Condiments/Marinades-Cooking-Ingredients

L.M.

11. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

L.M.,

Two thoughts. 1st: Find some wire that will fit fairly snuggly into your burner holes, maybe steel bailing wire. Cut 2" pieces, bend into L's & put in every other hole which will allow the remaining holes to burn above blow out level. Adjust accordingly. You won't hit 550o but you don't need that anyway. 2nd: a couple of cheater chunks of good wood (9cu" size) with the draft cut down so they don't flame may provide enough heat for low after getting your green crock pot heated up. :)

Hilditch

12. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Geeze, I just realized I need to try that wire trick on one burner of my Camp-Inn stove and I may not have to use the diffuser to perk coffee!

Thanks L.M.

Hilditch

13. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Nope that didn't work for me. Had 85 holes & used 2" 8D finishing nails bent. Thirty, then 40, then 50 - it took 56 to match the diffuser and then the air supply was too much & I got yellow flames.

Hilditch

14. Hey everyone,

I've been away from here & haven't checked in lately.. Had to focus on getting my life in order & finalize my " Retirement ".

So, I check my messages & someone had a few question about my " Big Green Egg Modifications ". I'm currently living in an " Apt. Complex ", which has a few restrictions; i.e: NO CHARCOAL BBQ .

My best guess, HMMM .. They had few individuals " Pouring Charcoal Lighter Fluid " ( Or Gasoline ) to get the Charcoals started ) :

Okay, first a few tips:
    1. THIS MOD WILL ONLY WORK SAFELY FOR MED / HIGH HEAT GRILLING "

2. YOU NEED TO KEEP THE LOWER VENT FULLY OPEN & THE TOP VENT 1/2 OPEN, FOR PROPER AIR CIRCULATION.
    The flame will blow out for lack of air & the propane gas will keep flowing inside the Egg ( BOMB ?).
    So, you must keep yourself close by & monitor your " BGE "..

PARTS:
    1. Cheap Wallymart: Turkey Fryer.
    2. 1/2 " x 6 " Threaded Galvanize Pipe.

Salvage Burner Assembly , Cut / Tap & Thread to fit thru lower vent hole on " BGE ".
    I wrap the Galvanize Pipe threads with Teflon Tape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Turkey Fryer Stand.

[​IMG]

I also use it as an " Extra Outdoor Oven " ( 350- 450 ++ degree ) [​IMG]
    2.5 lbs Round Tip Roast / " # 8 Dutch Oven "

[​IMG]
    Browned over Grill, High Heat.

[​IMG]
    Wrapped in " Cabbage Leafs ".

[​IMG]
    Add a few Veggies : Carrots / Potatoes / Turnips / Onions & one Bottle of Beer, to keep everything moist.

[​IMG]
    Back on the Grill & Baked for 2 hrs @ 350.

[​IMG]

Sorry, but " Photos " of finished product were somehow " Corrupted "..?

However, per my wife , everything was " Delicious ".. ( :

p.s.: The " Hot Spot " will be directly over the Burner Flame. You will also need to keep the burner jet holes clear, of any debris.

L.M.

15. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

You're much better at this than I. If I tried that, remnants would be found scattered over three states. God knows where the tri-tip would end up... I'm thinking, maybe North Dakota.

Kudos on the recycling and Mother of Invention stuff.

So, when's dinner?

Camp On,

Sue

16. Dahava

Dahava Novice

We just bought a Big Green Egg for camping. We opted for the small (not the mini). The small still has a 13" surface, close to the medium (which has 15") but weights much less. The small weights 77 lbs whereas the medium comes in at 114 lbs. So, the small will be much gentler on my old back as I haul it in/out of the pack of the TV.

We have a Large BGE at home and I cook about 4-5 meals per week on it. I love its versatility. It is a first rate smoker, baking oven, roaster, and direct heat grill. It's the only thing I've ever found that does ALL of these exceptionally, therefore, while pricey, it's worth it to me. Like most quality things (the CampInn included), it costs a lot but you only cry once!

Now...what to cook on it first? Tri tip, chicken, brisket, pork butt....

17. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

You have two, wow, I bought the first one, a medium. Have used it twice so far. Hmmm, good steak.

Lucky you for having another to use with the tear.

18. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Jean- I'm sure you'll love it. Honestly it took me a little while to get used to the dampers and keeping a steady temperature. Now t's nothing to smoke a pork butt for 15 hours at 200 degrees and have very little fluctuation. I really had to take to heart the old smoking adage, "If you're lookin', it ain't cookin'!

It was a tough call to get the small, as the BGE at any size isn't cheap...but we use ours so much and in so many different ways that we knew we'd get our money's worth.