VA State Park Bear Lake State Park (Cumberland)

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by PlasticsMan, Oct 9, 2013.

1. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

The Federal budget mess forced us to change our plans to camp in Shenandoah National Park in the Virginia mountains last weekend.

Plan B - We opted for Bear Lake State Park in Cumberland, VA in central Piedmont Virginia. It wasn't the beautiful VA mountains, and mid-day temps were in the upper 80's, but at least the humidity was not brutal. It was a nice, quiet campground. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my fishing gear...

[​IMG]
    Bear Lake State Park, Cumberland, VA

[​IMG]
    Camp site overlooking Bear Lake

2. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

We were in campground "A", (site 17) and the showers there were OK - I've seen better and worse. On Saturday the water heater for the women's bathhouse stopped working and Joan had to take a brisk, cold shower. Thankfully the weather was warm!

Campground A overlooks the lake - Campgrounds B & C are in the woods but don't overlook the lake. There are a handful of sites in A, B & C with water and electric.

Canoes, kayaks, and row boats can be rented and there are various trails around the lake and adjoining state forest.

Eric_

3. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Eric_n_Joan sounds like your having fun with plan b and it looks like a nice place.

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Frank's Law: Junk expands to the truck size allotted.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Eric and Joan- love your truck, sc? Kinda rare.

6. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

Hi Matt,

I hadn't logged onto the CampInn forum site for a few months and just noticed your comment on the Element SC. Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, I love the way the SC looks and it tows the TD well. We've gotten lots of compliments when towing the TD - they look great together.

Since I drive an SC I spot them all the time so I don't know if it's rare. You know how it is when you purchase a car, you notice every similar model on the road... There are two others in our neighborhood.

My only complaint is that the lowered SC suspension and the short wheelbase makes for a stiff ride. We've gotten used to it for the most part but on days when we've been on an all day hike and we're sore and tired, the ride can rattle your bones. I replaced the OEM Goodyear tires with a Michelin all season radial with more sidewall - that helped the ride a bit.

Cheers...
    Eric