Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Bear, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade...IN PICTURES. 2008 continued:

080207 KEY WEST, FL; For reasons I can't fully explain, I find enjoyment in reaching the extreme points of the United States. I have been to many of them: List of extreme points of the United States - Wikipedia

080207 KEY WEST, FL....jpg

080207 KEY WEST, FL; This was the day of firsts. The first time I had ever tried Key Lime pie and Yellowfin Tuna and enjoyed them both. It is of my opinion that Salmon and Tuna are better left at sea---two of the nastiest tasting fish. Here, I asked a lifelong friend if I may try one of his cigars. In attempting my first experience at smoking tobacco---it was like sucking on cardboard. Yuck! Pewy!

080207 KEY WEST, FL; My first....jpg

080209 FLORIDA; This simple shot truly intrigued me. Comparison shot - both were being towed by Jeep Wranglers.

080209 FLORIDA; Comparison shot....jpg

080218 ALABAMA; If you think the roads in Los Angeles and New York are tough to navigate---try Alabama!

080218 ALABAMA; If you think....jpg

080218 RAINSVILLE, AL; Does anyone else see anything wrong with this advertisement in the deep south?

080218 RAINSVILLE, AL; Does anyone....jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017 at 3:13 PM
  2. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

080221 SCOTTSBORO, AL; Because You Loved Me...my li'l buddy returns home.

(This will be difficult to hold back the tears as I write this.)

When time had come to aid my friend, my companion, family member and the navigator of The Odyssey to return to his maker, I asked the veterinarian if she would mind doing the deed in the camper. It didn't seem right that Black Jack should have his ticket punched in unfamiliar surroundings. The vet was more than accommodating and joined me at the Stagecoach (camper).

Just as the veterinarian arrived and wrapped a rubber band around his leg before injecting the needle, Black Jacked kissed me one last time as if to thank me and say good-bye. Then he whimpered and went to sleep.

After I had sobbed away the tears and went back into the veterinarian's office to thank her, I returned to the Ponies (Jeep) to find a card on the windshield, which sent me into another weeping spell. It read:

080221 SCOTTSBORO, AL; Because You Loved Me....jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Tom & Diana P, jfocallag and Randy like this.
  3. Randy

Randy Junior Ranger Donating Member

Sorry about Black Jack. Time for a new pup?!

4. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Fun to see all the pictures. I enjoy your posts.

5. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

I don't think the time is right to introduce a new dog into full-timing, Randy; not until I plant roots somewhere. I lived with some guilt while Black Jack was alive. It used bother me something terrible whenever I'd go into a library to check email or to work on a manuscript knowing he was held captive in the Jeep. It bothered me to take time out to walk into a theater for a couple of hours, knowing an aging canine with some loss of sight and hearing was waiting patiently in the Jeep for my return. It would even get to me to walk into a store to pickup supplies knowing that I couldn't bring him in.

Besides, in today's world people are quick to call law enforcement when a dog is found unattended (especially during the summer months) in parking lots. What is a person to do if grocery shopping is in order for both the canine and the owner? There were times when I was in the southwest and would wait until late at night, when the temps were cooler, to do my shopping at an all-night grocery store. I still worried that someone would call the police, Black Jack would have been removed from the Wrangler, and I would be left with a ticket to appear in court. It would have been a different story if the air conditioner in the Stagecoach could have operated under its own power. He would have been comfortable, cooler and out of sight.

No, I'm not quite ready to travel down that road again. But one day, I'll introduce a dog into my world.

Thank you for the feedback, PBaker. It does my heart good knowing I bring some level of entertainment to a sector of this forum. I do appreciate you saying something. Again, Thank You.

Walk in Beauty,

BEAR

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  6. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

080308 SIERRA NEVADAS; Eastside of the mountain. There is a wayside rest area on the eastside that I have camped in numerous times. It is a spiritual experience and the energy is phenomenal. I have met some wonderful souls while parked in this oasis in the desert.

080308 SIERRA NEVADAS;  Eastside....jpg

080507 SUISUN, CA; The sign says it all. I was here to visit an acquaintance who was parked at the campground. Aside from the two of us, the campground was empty; a beautiful location parked on the edge of a lake. One evening, while staring up at the diamond speckled, moonless, sky, I spoke to the Heavens to share with Black Jack how much I missed him. No sooner was the following stated, "What I wouldn't give to know you were present." than a beagle's howl came from the other side of the small lake. It was without question his doing.

080507 SUISUN, CA....jpg

080507 SUISUN, CA; While visiting the campground, the acquaintance I was there to see had her two Mastiffs along; the female gave birth during the visit. It is difficult to imagine that such a tiny creature can grow into a miniature horse of a dog.

080507 SUISUN, CA; Mastiff puppy....jpg

080507 SUISUN, CA; Mastiff puppy's father

080507 SUISUN, CA; Mastiff puppy's....jpg

080507 YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, CA; Driven by the park many times but had never entered its boundaries until this day. That night I did something uncharacteristic, I opted to camp overnight at a campground. I was quickly reminded why I don't make a practice of parking at campgrounds. I'll never understand why city folks bring their city ways to the country. Isn't the whole point of going camping to do something out of the ordinary. The campground was lit up like the City of Lights and as loud as Sin City, and by morning I would know the name of every child in the area. Not because we were introduced, but because parents wouldn't stop screaming at their kids for wanting to be children doing kid like things.

080507 YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, CA; Driven by....jpg

7. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

080508 YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, CA; Yosemite Falls---breathtakingly beautiful!

080508 YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, CA; Breathtaking!....jpg

080611 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; Taken from the ranger watchtower overlooking Bad Axe Lake. I had been hired to fill the role of Quartermaster during Boy Scout summer camp. Little did I know that once hired I'd spend the better part of the next two years working at this camp. // I landed here in celebration of crossing into my 5oth state: North Dakota. I wanted some way to honor the occasion and given my love for Scouting, I thought working at a Boy Scout camp would be the perfect way to prolong the celebration. Little did I know that Boy Scouts of America's Northern Light Council, in North Dakota, actually held their summer camps near Park Rapids, Minnesota at Camp Wilderness.

080611 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; Taken from ranger....jpg

080611 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; A wall of rain as captured from the ranger watchtower.

080611 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; Taken from the....jpg

080920 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; C.O.P.E. (Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience) Course - Exhilarating! The platform for this zip line sits above the trees and the line lowers into a clearing amongst the conifers. I had been on zip lines before but never one this high off the ground. It took some doing to talk myself into walking off that platform. Once I was flying the mental process was simple, "What the heck! What's the worst that could happen, I'd have another chapter for the book?"

080920 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; C.O.P.E. Course....jpg

081116 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; Bracing for the -40º temps that would soon follow. While employed with the camp I had permission to use the cabin next door, but I opted to remain in the Stagecoach. And boy was I glad that I did!

081116 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; Bracing....jpg

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  8. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

081216 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; The sub-freezing temps have arrived---and I'm lovin' it!

081216 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; The sub-freezing....jpg

I'll see ya next time when Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade continues with 2009.

That’s it America…reporting from the road this is Brother Bear signing out.

Walk in Beauty,

BEAR

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Jenn and Mike_Kathi like this.
  9. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade...IN PICTURES. 2009:

090110 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; The furnace inside was no match for the cold outside as ice accumulated around the mattress. In time there would be over an inch layer of ice on all four sides of the interior.
    (Camp Wilderness - Northern Lights Council)

090110 CAMP WILDERNESS, MN; The furnace....jpg

090213 MISSISSIPPI HEADWATERS, ITASCA STATE PARK, MN; I think the photo says it all. Did you know that the river actually heads north before turning south? Here it takes approximately seventeen steps to walk across the Mighty Mississippi. On this day I decided to take the path less traveled.
    (Park Info: Itasca State Park: Minnesota DNR)

090213 MISSISSIPPI HEADWATERS, ITASCA STATE PARK, MN; I think....jpg

090404 RUGBY, ND; Geographical Center of North America. Another one of those extreme points of interest that I was destined to see. (North America's Geographical Center May Be in a North Dakota Town ...)

090404 RUGBY, ND; Geographical Center....jpg

090418 SILVER REEF, UT; 4-Wheeling in the backcountry with a friend. Steve and I have traveled to different parts of the country to do this very thing. We love the backcountry and we love to explore it.

090418 SILVER REEF, UT; 4-Wheeling....jpg

090418 SILVER REEF, UT; Enjoying the backcountry on foot. In this region there are a lot of abandoned mineshafts that are fun to explore. It is not possible to enter the shafts because the state took measures to cement steel bars over the entrances. But that wasn't enough to hold back the intrigue as some shafts were horizontal and some vertical. It was the vertical ones that were the most intriguing to these eyes. (Silver Reef, Utah - Wikipedia)

090418 SILVER REEF, UT; Enjoying....gif

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  10. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade...IN PICTURES. 2009 continued:

090823 DETROIT LAKES, MN; Beauty is all around us. I had volunteered my time to assist a Life Scout (Boy Scout) work on his Eagle Scout project when I stumbled upon this magnificent sight. I would have missed this experience had something not fallen from my hands and I had to pick it up. It was then that I noticed the frog sunbathing.

090823 DETROIT LAKES, MN; Priceless....jpg

090925 CASTLE ROCK COUNTY PARK, WI; Attending the Camp-Inn Camp-Outt. The caution sign was from one friend; the hat came from another. The bear claw necklace, too, was a gift and so was the t-shirt. The Odyssey has opened these eyes to just how beautiful people are outside city limits. The generosity of strangers never ceases to amaze me. Time and again I have been adorned with gifts that I didn't think that I warranted, and time and again I have been invited into strangers homes and fed dinner.

090925 CASTLE ROCK COUNTY PARK, WI; Attending....jpg

I'll see ya next time when Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade continues with 2010.

Walk in Beauty,

BEAR

Tom & Diana P, Jenn and Evan like this.
  11. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade...IN PICTURES. 2010:

100426 Allagash Wilderness, ME; Future home of Camp Coddiwomple East. Boondocking along the St. John River. This is without question my favorite photo taken of myself throughout The Odyssey.

100426 Allagash Wilderness, ME; Future home of Camp Coddiwomple East..JPG

100828 HAWLEY, MN; Officiating my first wedding--Joel H. & Char T.

100828 HAWLEY, MN; Officiating my first wedding....jpg

I'll see ya next time when Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade continues with 2011.

Walk in Beauty,

BEAR

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Jenn likes this.
  12. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade...IN PICTURES. 2011:

110213 LA PUSH BEACH WA; Beached tree. I felt so tiny standing next to this monstrosity.

110213 LA PUSH BEACH WA; Beached tree....jpg

110415 ROCKY POINT, WA; I designed and fabricated the canopy. My primary purpose in designing this canopy was to come up with something that could fasten to the camper and not require anchors. I succeeded. The other requirement was that it had to be stowed in the hatch of the camper itself---again, I succeeded. This was all I needed for shade until I was introduced to a Super Sport-Brella in 2013. The Sport-brella has since replaced my design do to its simplicity.

110415 ROCKY POINT, WA; I designed....jpg

110602 OAK HARBOR, WA; Managing the Grasshoppers, Minor A, North Whidbey Little League. Teaching 6-8 years old the fundamentals of baseball is like trying to corral a heard of kittens.

110602 OAK HARBOR, WA; Managing the Grasshoppers....jpg

110919 MONTANA; Introducing a fellow teardropper to boondocking. This was a lot of fun introducing someone to my world of camping, which didn't require campgrounds or utilities---just the company of Mother Nature and Mother Earth.

110919 MONTANA; Introducing....jpg

110923 CASTLE ROCK COUNTY PARK, WI; The wolf-hybrids that attacked me during a Camp-Inn Camp-Outt gathering. After I had returned from the emergency room, the ongoing joke in camp was: Wolf 1 vs. Bear 0.

110923 CASTLE ROCK COUNTY PARK, WI; The wolf-hybrids....jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017 at 3:17 PM
    Tom & Diana P and Jenn like this.
  13. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade...IN PICTURES. 2011 continued:

111109 ROCKY POINT, WA; The Stagecoach from space complements of Google Earth. I can't begin to tell you how exciting it was to discover this image at the time that it had happened. Then the novelty wore off, because I had came to realization: that if I had sat long enough for a satellite to capture the camper's image then I wasn't out exploring. But I just can't help myself when it comes to Whidbey Island, I just love the place.

111109 ROCKY POINT, WA; The Stagecoach from space....jpg

111209 ROCKY POINT, WA; Doing a little house cleaning before the cold winds of January set in.

111209 ROCKY POINT, WA; Doing a little house cleaning....jpg

I'll see ya next time when Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade continues with 2012.

Walk in Beauty,

BEAR

Jenn likes this.
  14. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade...IN PICTURES. 2012:

120115 ROCKY POINT, WA; The cold winds of January have arrived. And I...I was as happy as a snowflake.

120115 ROCKY POINT, WA; The cold winds of January have arrived..JPG

120605 OAK HARBOR, WA; North Whidbey Little League Junior Division (Ages 13-16) Son & Parent softball game, and the impartial coach is on the mound pitching for both teams. It was a close game but the boys managed to pull it out. These teams were made up predominately military families, who had parents playing softball for the recreation league on the nearby military base. The kids thought they had it in the bag before the game even started---boy were they surprised.

120605 OAK HARBOR, WA; NWLL Junior Division....jpg

121004 NEVADA; In the middle of nowhere life lives on.

121004 NEVADA; In the middle of nowhere life lives on..JPG

121102 JESSE OWENS PARK, TUCSON, AZ; Visiting with a friend of the park.

121102 JESSE OWENS PARK, TUCSON, AZ....jpg

121107 RED ROCK STATE PARK, SEDONA, AZ; Hallow ground

121107 RED ROCK STATE PARK, SEDONA, AZ....jpg

I'll see ya next time when Bear's Odyssey: The First Decade continues with 2013.

Walk in Beauty,

BEAR

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017 at 4:01 PM
    Evan likes this.