Been driving all day...

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by bcannizzo, May 28, 2013.

1. bcannizzo

bcannizzo Novice

We stopped in a parking lot to try to locate the park we were going to stay the night in. We had been driving all day. Started to pull out, checked the rear view mirror AND my door of the CI was open... It was locked but I hadn't pushed just right when I closed it. Everything was still inside, guess the wind of the road kept it closed til we pulled off the road. I now double check the closing of the doors.

2. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

It's always best to double check.

3. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

also best to lock them all.

4. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

We double check closed and locked doors, especially since our hatch flew open on the highway in Montana. Fortunately, a big RV drove up alongside with the passenger waving her arms out the window - we thought she was signaling approval of the TD (we are SO self-focused!) The look on her face, though, was closer to panic so we did stop. Fortunately, nothing blew out.

Although a couple of attendees at the last CI-CO chuckled when we mentioned the checklist at the back of the manual, we do follow it faithfully before taking off each morning. It has saved us a few times. We have added a few items: purse/keys/phone, emergency brake off, check gas level, temperature sensor off bumper and in kitchen, based on experience.

5. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I also use the check list religiously. I have gotten interesting looks at gatherings but it has also saved me from forgetting to put up the wheel and put the lock on the coupler. I added tables are stowed. I take the tables out and put them in the garage when packing the galley. On one trip, I forgot to put them back. After going through the check list I do at least two walk arounds checking the doors, hand brake, coupler etc. one more time. I am sure it has something to do with my being a worry wart.

6. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Sometimes being a worry-wart is a good thing. For one thing, it spares you from hearing that hideous, grinding shriek when you forget to retract the jacks.

Yikes.

7. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I learned the "walk around from my dad who is a pilot and always does that before take off to make sure things are ready. I check wheels, hitch, all locks (making sure they are off or on), all doors, chains, wheels up, and we do a light check (one reason I bring the kid along...he is an awesome light checker). The check list is a good idea too.

8. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yep, Samo-samo...
    I have a count on the "Hitch Area" 1-6, but now 5 after reading about the bungee hitch crank handle... and of course verifying the small, luckily, indented dots in the bumper... so count 1-5 as i check them off. then a final walk around trying to open the doors and ceiling fan..

At stops, and they are more frequent than not, I'll do a walk around every time. Only real thing that bothers me is the emergency brake cable triggering device. Always hang low on one side, keep thinking it's going to catch on something... sorta like the hitch handle... so I even it out again at every stop..

Had one door open in going up the hill to the RV place, but didn't really check it nor locked it as they needed to get into it and basically lazy...
    So far, so good...

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

As a pilot myself (thank you mr. federal government, ill probably never fly again) I learned early checklists are not only a good idea, but potentially a life saver. In aviation, there are check lists for everything.....startup, shutdown, smoke in cabin', loss of power.....you name it...

Ever wonder why fire fighters re walking around when the house is burning? Not that they don't care....but it keeps them from rushing and make a bad decision that might kill someone...preparation and planning will save soooooo much in the long run....

10. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Frank, I had a similar concern. Actually my cable was dragging on the road, I ended up with two pieces, one attached to the TV and the other to the emergency brake pin.

This is how I resolved the issue:http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Fastway/FA80-01-2160.html

You can Google it for a better price and I think there are two different sizes, but I'm pretty sure I got the 6' one, works without a hitch...sorry couldn't resist.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  11. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I just bungee the TV to the TD.....

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016