CA National Forest Big Pine Creek Campground (Eastern Sierra)

Discussion in 'West' started by ssackett, Aug 20, 2015.

1. ssackett

ssackett Novice

We camped and hiked last weekend in the Eastern Sierras, with my sister and her husband who were making their first voyage in their new home-built teardrop.

We stayed at Big Pine Creek Campground which is about 15 miles out and 4000 feet up from Big Pine off the 395. The VERY steep climb out of Big Pine is pretty barren and lunar looking, but at about the 12 mile mark you enter a landscape of tall Jeffrey pines, aspen and cottonwood trees. The campgrounds is situated in Big Pine Canyon which is heralded for having both the largest and southern most glaciers in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

We stayed in sites #15 and #14 which were perfect for the two campers. #15 was high on a hill, with a fabulous twisted pine towering over the site and 360 degree views of the surrounding meadows and glacier crags. The site was pretty warm during the day but perfect for dinner and campfire with wide-open views of the mountains and stars.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php...32062577.1073741833.1411505325&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php...32062577.1073741833.1411505325&type=3&theater

Site #14 was nestled in the trees, nice and shady and private. It was perfect for breakfast and lounging in our PJs. Here's a picture of my sister's new home-built TD, YZCMPR (a play on their Basque name of Yzurdiaga).

Other good sites look to be #22 (best) and #19 near the creek. #21 is a really lovely site but there are trees and bushes between the drive and the campsite, so it would be hard to use the TD kitchen, etc and make one campsite. Would be awesome for tents. Avoid the sites at bottom of the loop, #7-11, as they are very exposed and not very private.

Highlights of the weekend where a hike to beautiful Long Lake near Bishop, Ca.

And Paella cooked over the open campfire. Yum!

Other foodies recommendations on this trip.

The Bishop Burger Barn (in Bishop of course) is on the way to trail heads at North and South Lake. Have grass-fed burgers, fries and onion rings to die for. We always try to time lunch here when we drive up or down the 395.

On the way home (Southbound to Los Angeles) we had lunch at the Alabama Hills Cafe in Lone Pine. This is a favorite of the back-backers and climbers going to the Whitney Portal. They have great omelets, scrambles, and sandwiches. This weekend they had a excellent batter fried fish and chips. They also sell freshly baked bread, pies (whole and slices) and cookies. I had forgotten this, but next time might stop and buy some for dessert and sandwiches in camp.

The Spellbinder bookstore in Bishop is a LOCAL store with lots of new and used books and DVDs. They also had a small selection of locally crafted wares...from which I nabbed two handmade pillow cases that match the colors (greens, browns, and ORANGE) of our trailer. I neglected to take pictures of these yet, so will remedy that and edit this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. ssackett

ssackett Novice

Hi Jenn -

I feel like I know you, I've been lurking so long, and reading your many helpful posts! Finally feel I have something worth contributing.

I was worried the pictures might not work. They are on Facebook, so I suspect only my Facebook friends can see. I need to learn how to keep pictures somewhere else or post them to the gallery I guess.

The water situation in CA is indeed grim. The high sierra lakes are ok as they are feed by glaciers and not used for down stream water supply. But lakes that are damed and used to supply water are 1/2 full or worse. Really sad to see.

Most recently we've been in campgrounds with vault toilets only, so ha ha, water didn't matter. But I have heard that in many the showers have been closed and some toilets closed. We use that as an excuse to get a rare massage ..find a place that offers a shower, and indulge ourselves. The "room" is relatively inexpensive so we can treat ourselves.

The prognosis is that we are indeed going to have an strong El Nino this winter which should help some. But it's still not clear whether that will result in significant snow pack and that's what will refill the lakes and water sheds.

3. ssackett

ssackett Novice

Jenn - I've made this Facebook album public now, so perhaps you will be able to see pictures now. Let me know if you can indeed.

4. ssackett

ssackett Novice

Jenn - I've made this Facebook album public now, so perhaps you will be able to see pictures now. Let me know if you can indeed.

5. Chuck

Chuck Novice

Awesome photos. I wish we could divert some of our daily rains to the western U.S.

6. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

nice photos and trip report

Looks like the air quality was pretty good - no smoke/haze

I'm heading up to Bend, Oregon, via Shasta tomorrow. I expect lousy air quality. :-(

7. ssackett

ssackett Novice

Hi Al and Cathy - do you remember, we met at Bothe Napa?

Actually there was smoke some nights blowing in over the Sierra. We figured there was no risk where we were...lots of granite between us and the fire.

Enjoy your trip. We wanted to stop near Shasta last year and the water level was so low it was terribly depressing. Pressed on. Hate to think what it looks like now.

I grew up in Oregon. Skied in Bend. Should be nice time of year up there. Enjoy!

8. AlCat

I am not remembering that we met. Was it this summer or last summer? (Must have been this summer. Last summer we were there during a rain storm, and we were barely at the campground.) (I looked on your photos, but there isn't a clear photo of you or your husband, so...)

or maybe you talked with Cathy and not me

-Al

We are staying near Mt. Shasta on the way to Bend (not staying at Lake Shasta). I think we will be at Bunny Flat, near Panther Meadow.

The north entrance to Crater Lake was closed, I think, yesterday, due to a nearby fire. :( (sad about the fire; not so sad about my "hardship")

9. AlCat

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016