Blind Spot When Changing Lanes

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Chuckwagon, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

One of my biggest concerns about towing a camper is changing lanes and not seeing a car behind me approaching in the lane I'm moving into. Not having the center rear view mirror to keep track of what is behind me has me a bit spooked. Has this been a problem for anyone? Are there devices (wide angle back-up cameras or extra large side mirrors) that I could install that would solve this issue? Any tips or suggestions would be welcome.

2. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Just a set of good stick on blind spot mirrors help a lot. I can't drive without them.

Randy

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  3. Towbert

Towbert Novice

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I set the side views wide enough so I can't see the side of my car. It helps get that extra bit of coverage to shrink/eliminate the blind spot - depending on your vehicle.

5. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Everyone who tows a Camp Inn has the same view out their rear view mirror - the Camp Inn. When you first start towing it is reassuring that it is always in the same place when you look back there. But after a while you realize that the rear view mirror has very little function when towing.

Amazon.com has lots of options for blind spot mirrors, including one or two that don't occupy part of your existing mirror:
    Amazon.com: blind spot mirror

We learned from our MX-5 how little visibility there can be when your tow vehicle is loaded with gear and you have the trailer behind you (with did a 7,000 mile trip in it with no blind spot mirror - just standard side view mirrors). Our current tow vehicle is a windowless cargo van. Fortunately it came with extra blind spot mirrors, but I still find myself at times leaning forward so that I can look back and check the blind spot myself. It is possible to see into the 'blind spot' - the term is a bit of a misnomer.

6. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

after purchasing the 550 I quickly put aspherical mirrors on my VW sportwagen. These have an outboard section that shows anything in the blind spot without having to turn your head. They work greta.
    These are direct replacements for the standard mirrors. I don't know if other vehicles have this option but I'd jump on it if they do.

7. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

Have added those little round mirrors to every vehicle I have purchased for the last 30 years - doesn't matter if for pulling a trailer or not - cars and SUV's just seem to have a blind spot

Bob

8. Greg&Carol

Greg&Carol Newbie

We like the right side view camera on our 2016 Honda Pilot - no blind spot and I don't have to keep asking Carol if it's safe to change lanes while she's napping!