Brake Controllers

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Cal429, May 17, 2010.

1. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

Anybody have any wisdom to share regarding brake controller choices?

After studying on-line (love that Internet!) how they work, how to wire ‘em, and the advantages & disadvantages of the different types, I’m about to order a Tekonsha P3. My tentative conclusion is that proportional (as opposed to time delayed) is the way to go. My 4Runner is factory prewired underdash and has a 7-way connector plug in the back that checks out OK with my little multimeter, so the electrical wiring part looks pretty straightforward.

But those of you who have trailers with brakes can give me good advice based on your experiences with your controllers (both good and not so good experiences).

What do you have and does it work smoothly and reliably?
    Any problems worth noting?
    Any issues I should be aware of concerning installing or operating them?

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Jim,

I just went to the local shop and had them put one in - so I don't really know anything about it other than that it works well enough.

3. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Following the advice of a couple of automechanic friends of ours we bought the tekonsha prodigy and it works great, also it is easy to install and use.

Anna&Steve
    550 Classic #269 :)

4. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

Yes, the Prodigy was the other controller I evaluated at the same time. Another good choice, it seemed to me. I liked the mounting arrangement for the P3 a little better for my underdash location, plus it had all those superfluous little bells and whistles that are seductive but I'll probably never use. (Hey, who ever needs to adjust the digital display colors? I mean, really...). I'll bet that internally the Prodigy and P3 probably share a lot of the same circuitry.

I love the idea that one controller can be moved between mountings in multiple vehicles (my battery isolator will be trailer-mounted).

5. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

The prodigy can be used in multiple vehicles and its simple to use. Bells & whistles can get you in troubbbbble,good luck with whatever you choose.

Anna&Steve
    550 Classic #269 :)