Breakfast Mess

Discussion in 'Breakfasts' started by jpbrew, May 17, 2011.

1. jpbrew

jpbrew Novice

I've only done this at home, with a standard stovetop DO, but I guess a 4 or 5 quart ci DO is good.

Stuff to start with:

4 or 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch squares (or you can cheat and get a package of frozen southern hash browns, but make sure to get the kind cut into small squares and not the shoe string kind)

1 medium onion, diced small

1 red Bell Pepper, cut to 1 inch squares (you can use green if you wish because it costs less, I just perfer the red kind)

5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed (diceed if you don't like smashing)

1 to 2 pounds ground pork sausage (I usually get 1 pound mild and 1 pound hot)

4 to 5 eggs, scrambled

1 2 cup package of shredded cheese (choose which ever kind of cheese you like. I perfer a mexican blend with this dish, but just chedder work good too)

Pepper to taste (I rarly use salt anymore)
    Hot sauce (optional)
    vegatable oil
    milk (to scamble the eggs with)

1. Start with a 4 to 5 quart DO. Put about 2 tablespoons of the veggie oil on the bottom, then add potatoes. Place covered on low heat. If you use fresh potatoes as opposed to frozen hash browns, the potates will need to cook longer. Note that you will be adding ingredients to the potates even before they are done.

2. In a skillet, pan fry the two pounds of ground pork sausage. Drain the grease, reserving 3 or 4 tablespoons. Add the drained pork sausage to the DO with the potatoes.

3. In the sames skillet, add alittle of the reserved grease, then add the dices onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until tender, then add to the DO with the sausage and potatoes.

4. In the same skillet, scamble your eggs. I like using some of the pork grease with this as I believe it adds flavor, but does make the eggs look "dirty". Also this is where I add the hot sause. I like Tiger Sauce as it has good flavor but is not too hot like Tobasco sauce. Your choice on what to use or you don't have to add hot sauce at all. Add to eggs to the DO with the other cooked stuff.

5. In the DO check to see if the potatoes are done. If not, just recover and leave it on low heat until done. If the potatoes are done, remove the DO from the heat. Stir all the ingredients together, then add the shredded cheese on top. Spred the cheese out evenly to cover every thing, then recover the DO and let it sit until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes or so.

Enjoy

2. Celina5Mark

Celina5Mark Newbie

Which ingredient should be use to avoid pork sausage?

3. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

This is a good recipe. Real bacon would work as a substitute, but wouldn't be near as good. Next choice is spam and it goes down hill from there.

Hilditch

4. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what your avertion to pork sausage is, but one of the bennies of the sausage is some moisture for the casserole. So if the flavors are acceptable, then try a turkey sausage.
    I have also heard of, but haven't tried ground beef (Grnd chuck or better).

Please enlighten us as to where you want to go with this.... meatless or just not pork saudsage.

5. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

This recipe is very similar to what is called a "Mountain Man Breakfast"in the Dutch Oven circles. The beauty of these recipes is you can pretty much put in them what strikes your fancy.

6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Yep, there are as many versions of Mountain Man breakfasts in Dutch ovens as Carter has liver pills!

It is always a staple for breakfast at teardrop gatherings (Mountain Man, that is...not liver pills! :D)

Betsey :cool: