TX State Park Buescher State Park - Maiden Voyage

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Brian & Lucy, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Our first trip in our yet to be named CI 550 Classic #318 was to a relatively unknown Buescher State Park. Connected by a 12 mile road to the more popular Bastrop State Park (good bike ride), Buescher was not effected by the fires of a few years ago that devastated Bastrop State Park. It surrounds a lake that is kayak/canoe accessible, but not powered boats. Stocked in the winter with Trout, Largemouth bass are the primary summer targets. Shore fishing not great, but your kayak will make a big difference! The Oak Haven area is more private than the other areas, and has both power and water. Nearby bathrooms are, and if you have friends without a trailer there are some nice cabins. If power isn't necessary and you're with larger groups the other areas are worth a look.

Less than 2 miles from the entrance and you're in the small town of Smithville, TX. Or as my wife would say, where Hope Floats was filmed! Sandra Bullock/Harry Connick Jr. Grocery, antiques, good pizza, and all too important on a hot day Amy's Ice Cream!

Should have checked the propane level before I went...ran out halfway through cooking BACON! Thankfully a KOA wasn't far away!

We purchased the REI Alcove ahead of the trip based on the advice of so many of you on this forum. Worked great...we had string on hand to create the 'ribs' to keep the water from pooling. 3 heavy rain/thunderstorms later and not problem! Will come up with a better answer than string, but the concept works.

Swapped many lights to LED before the trip; brake, back-up, interior, hatch minus red. Worked great along with many other smaller ideas I've learned from many of you.

Seeking some advice on A/C noise...it's loud. Are newer units quieter? (2009) Or is that the price to pay for A/C? Used earplugs which helped, but still a distraction to sleep.

All in all a great trip. We have a new list of things that would make the experience a little more graceful, but happy to have our Camp Inn!

Attached Files:

AdamFWTX, birder526 and Tom & Diana P like this.
  2. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

That's great info on Buescher State Park and very timely as we plan to visit in October. My wife's Grandmother lives close to Smithville. We just camped this Labor Day weekend and ran our AC unit all night for both nights. Ours is very quiet and blows very cold. Yes there is fan noise inside the cabin, my wife loves this and needs white noise to fall to sleep. Outside it's hard to know if the AC is on because it's so quiet. Our model is a 560 and 2016 model.

Related to propane, there is a small $10 adapter that will allow you to attach a small 1 pound green propane cylinder. These are great to finish the cooking of a meal when the 11 pound unexpectedly runs out.

Happy camping!

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Thanks for the info on Bastrop. It is one of the campgrounds that is on our route, and we'll likely be camping in that general area, so it is good to have the heads up. Would you know if there are other public campgrounds generally due east or due west that were similarly affected by fires?

4. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

How was the noise from the highway? Last time we camped there (in a tent) we heard 18-wheeler traffic almost all night. But you're right; it's a lovely park. :)

5. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

T&D, My A/C was loud enough I don't think I would have heard my car alarm going off! It was otherwise quiet...the Oak Haven section is on the other side of the lake from the tent camping, so that may be the difference.

Inn42, I'm only familiar with Bastrop State Park, open but fire damaged, and Buescher, smaller but not fire damanged. McKinney Falls is closer to Austin...another great park not impacted by the fires. Reality is the fires were contained in a relatively small area in greater Bastrop, so you should be fine anywhere, just a matter of space. Will be booking up soon for the fall season.

Tom & Diana P likes this.