Couch / Bunk Beds Bunk Bed For An Adult?

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Gvtmule, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Gvtmule

Gvtmule Newbie

Hello, first post :) and thinking of buying a 560 Raindrop.

I was wondering about your collective opinion on sleeping in the bunkbed as an adult. I'm 5'7" tall - which looks to be the exact length of the bunk bed. I have two Aussies - 40 and 60 lb dogs. My idea was to sleep on the top bunk bed, let the dogs sleep on the bottom one, and not use the bed area as, well, a bed. Maybe put down some type of flooring and use it as a low ceiling-ed living room. I am tetchy about keeping my bed clean so the idea of having the bed as the floor bothers me. Weird....I know....

So, has anyone had a medium sized adult sleep in the bunk bed? Or a solution to use only half the floor as a bed, maybe with a cot?

Thanks all....and Happy New Year!

2. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Nope, the bunks are too short for almost all adults. The bunk length is only 56 inches -- a 5 ft tall person is 60 inches. The width is 22 inches. You can measure that out on your floor to get an idea of how you or your dog might fit on a bunk. The idea of using only 1/2 of the Queen bed is an interesting one.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I agree with Chuckwagon. On occasion, I have thought about a smaller mattress, full size maybe, and using the resulting floor space for storage, shoes, etc.

4. Gvtmule

Gvtmule Newbie

My skills with math are showing embarrassingly again, ha ha...thanks Chuckwagon.

The half size mattress does seem like a good choice, given the fact I don't need that much mattress space.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  5. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

For what it's worth, we have plenty of room in our 560 with two adults and our 50 pound, long legged Vizsla. She either sleeps between us or on the couch. I could imagine having two, one between us on the bed and one on the couch. It would be snug but would work. The other option would be a side tent for the dogs, although Rika would never allow that (Velcro dog)!

Randy

jfocallag likes this.
  6. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

One bonus is that you probably wouldn't need the furnace option!

7. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

The bunks max weight is 150 pounds.

As for using half of the floor space for a bed, interesting idea. The open floor will need some consideration. There are two storage access panels on the floor that rest on the plastic bin edge. The panels are currently made of a black plastic composite type material. The question is what is the weight restriction of direct pressure on the panel covers? What will the weight impact be on the storage tub edges?

To solve the issue of tub panel shifting, another layer of flooring will need to be installed over the unused portion.
    The open floor idea will provide additional storage, possibly some vertical storage at the foot end, maybe a "dog bed" at the foot end.

Currently the mattress allows a person to sit on a level surface with feet outside the door. Removing the mattress thickness will create a 3inch or so drop from door frame to floor. Depending upon your mattress height, the mattress door may have no door ledge. Wonderful being able to sit on the bed to apply or remove socks and shoes without cutting circulation off at back of legs.

Regardless of your ultimate use of the space, the queen size bed can be restored.

Jean

8. Our daughter sleeps on the lower bunk while my wife and I are on the bed. She is around 5'6 but sleeps curled up in a ball no matter what size bed she is in. She is 500 miles away in Pittsburgh at college for the next 4 years so she won't be camping with us too much for now. It works for us but if she stretched out it would not. We have been on two cross country trips this way too, camping over 20+ nights this way. When we camp local we add the two dogs into the mix. If we do not have the AC on, the Corgi has to be put where he catches the breeze from the ventilation coming in from the Windows otherwise he wakes you up panting in your ear. Our mutt goes to wherever he is warmest, usually under someone's blanket. I have always looked at that upper bunk and thought it would only work for a small child. When it is just the two of us we put the upper bunk up, but use it to store our duffels, jackets, etc.

9. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

When the upper bunk is up and being used for storage, is it comfortable to lean back on the edge of the bunk to read or watch a movie while in bed?

10. N

11. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Oops! I meant to ask when adults are using the queen size bed in a 560 and the sofa area is converted to bunks, is it comfortable for the adults using the queen bed to be in a sitting position in bed, leaning back against the bunks the same way that they would lean back on a headboard or the back of the sofa to read before going to sleep?

12. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Unless you have a bunch of pillows, it wouldn't be very comfortable to sit up against the bunk bed. The upper bunk would be near the your shoulders leaving your back unsupported. In sofa position, it's a different ball game entirely. :)

13. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

Our son usually sleeps on the bottome bunk/sofa bed (because he's a "velcro kid" & doesn't want to sleep in a tent alone). I've slept there a few times to let him stretch out on the queen bed. We are both around 5' 4" and like Warren said we each have to either curl up in a bit of a ball or else sleep somewhat sitting upright propped on pillows. It's not too bad for a night or two each on a trip since we switch out. I wouldn't want the bottom bunk to be my main/only bed though. The main queen bed area is really comfy & nice for stretching out. Oh, btw, we got our first Aussie pup this summer. He's been on one camping trip with us so far. We put him in his kennel (where he's used to sleeping at home) right outside the camper door with the window open & he slept just fine....never made a peep at night. Aussies are awesome! :)

Gvtmule likes this.